Don't forget to poke the photos to enlarge!

Saturday, July 30, 2016

Do It Again...

It's the old "If at first you don't succeed..."

This was the first try.  To close to the edge!
The pieces were falling apart before I even started coiling!


So, I did it again.  I was trying to do a base for baskets that wouldn't involve a couple of hours of coiling the bottom. 

Unless you are doing a tray or a pretty flat basket, you don't see the inside anyway. I was trying to get a bottom without all of that work. 

I did it with the second try. 

I used a Woodsie and drilled holes at about 3/32 intervals all around and mad sure that they were the same measurement from the edge.

Then I simply started coiling around the bottom edge.

It took two rounds of coiling to cover the Woodsie's edge

Here it is with three rows of coiling around it. I accidentally pulled up on the three rows just as I took the photo.  The bottom white row is the Woodsie disk. I just need to pull tighter as I coil.

I think that this will be a good way to get people started with coiling.

It is discouraging to do rows and rows of bottom coiling and have nothing to show for it. 

With this, they will be able to see the basket coming together without all of that unseen work.


We are getting ready for the new table and chairs.  I had a brainstorm and decided to put the old table in the workroom... Some place to work and some place to pile more stuff.....

I'm not sure if it is a good idea or not, but I am going to try it and see.

If it doesn't work, we can still carry it off to Goodwill.  No loss.

I am going to go finish the basket now.

See you tomorrow.

1 comment:

Giac said...

Hello Casey,
I do hate it when a project takes forever to start properly. Here's hoping the rest of it will go well. The table in the workroom might be a good idea...keeping my fingers crossed.
Big hug
Giac