Don't forget to poke the photos to enlarge!

Sunday, March 20, 2016

Strictly for the Birds...

I found this wooden birdhouse in the craft department at Walmart.

Most of my birds wouldn't think of living in this small a house.  Maybe for a wren or a sparrow, but they still probably wouldn't like it.

I did.  So I brought it home and decided to fancy it up a bit this morning.  I put a couple of coats of gesso on the walls.
Then came the hard part.  I had to custom cut nine shingles for each of the six sides. There are only six whole shingles to a side! More cut ones than whole ones.

I didn't like putting half shingles over the seams.  Entirely too large. It's bad enough with the full shingles.  Kind of clunky according to miniature standards.

I used what I had. Leftovers.

I covered the base with movie tray pieces.

Then I used a bamboo place mat from Michael's for half timber. 

It was already dark.  All I had to do was unravel the thread and dispose of the skinny sticks, between the dark ones.  The skinny ones are great for applying glue and other fun things.

Anyway, this is what it looks like so far.  I still have to do a bit of painting on the stonework and the half timbers.  Mostly to shade the areas and make them look dirty.

I am tired of working on it for now.  I will finish it tomorrow.  It took me several hours to get this far!

Now I have to go make the bed with clean sheets, if I can get Kota to move.  Then I can be lazy for a while.

But for now, back to work.

See you tomorrow.

No comments: