Don't forget to poke the photos to enlarge!

Friday, May 1, 2015

In Case of Emergency...

I started rocking the front steps this morning.  They look pretty terrible so far... I wasn't really sure what direction they were going to take.

I thought about flagstone, to match the foundation walls.  Then I decided that they didn't have to match...

But that is why there is a seam at the top of the bottom step.  I was going to lay flagstone on top of the solid stones.  It didn't look right, so I went for plain old rocks on the steps. They will look like solid rocks like the rest of the steps when I finish.  Magic word of the day... Gesso!

I made it this far before wandering away and going to Walmart and points north... Town is that way.

I made a wonderful discovery at Walmart in the gardening dept.. That solved my emergency trip to town to get wood!

I didn't have to go into town to get lumber for the foundation sides!  I found these garden stakes.  They are five feet long and there are four to a pack.  Cheaper than Lowe's and Home Depot for the same amount of wood.  It comes to about 25cents a line foot.  I can get a couple of good sized foundations out of them!

When I got back, I finished laying the stonework.

Tessie is unhappy because I left one very rough piece of ceiling tile uncovered.  I liked the texture and it will be a really rough stone when I finish with it. 

Grumble on, Tessie.  It's staying that way! I like it!

I have to go cut the new wood now.  The faster I get that part of the foundation done, the faster I can start doing more to the bottom of the trees.

Back to work.

See you tomorrow.

3 comments:

Marjorie Bailey said...

The steps are coming along so well! I really like the way you've contoured them. And isn't it so satisfying to go on a supply trip and find something unexpected that is, after all, the perfect thing? What fun these little houses can be!

elizabeth s said...

Hi Casey! The NEXT TIME I am at Wal-mart, I am going to get me some of those sticks! What a Great Resource!
Ain't it grand when you can find supplies for minis in NON-MINI locations?
( I am rubbing my hands together in anticipation, like Scrooge! )

Caseymini said...

Elizabeth, just check through the stock. Some are smoother than others. Som have knotholes. Some are straighter than others. Good luck! The ones that I bought are quite nice and will only take a bit of sanding.