Don't forget to poke the photos to enlarge!

Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Turning Corners...

 Please excuse the fingerprints... I stained the corners and then forgot to wash my hands... It's nothing that another coat of paint won't fix.

I wanted to show you how to make people think that the whole house is enclosed, without hinges.

I took two pieces of thin wood and cut strips to fit the side and the front. I first glued the side piece to the side of the front panel.  Then I put the other piece down the front, covering the edge of the side strip. 

Since the front panel slides up under the front trim, I looks as though the whole house is one piece.

I finished the front walkway.  You can't really call it a porch.  I am not going to put a roof over it.

I did my usual cut and fit way of doing things.  One piece at a time, I put it together like a jigsaw puzzle. I had a pencil at hand to guestimate where the next cuts should go.

 Then I scored all of the edges with a knitting needle.  I use whatever is at hand.  Crochet hook, knitting needle of ball stylus all work.

In the last photo, you can see where the rolled edge of the slate comes from.

The piece that I am holding beneath the finished slate is the top of an egg carton. 

See how the edge has a lip that folds out?  That is the part that you see on the edge of the walkway.  I use that part and make sure that there is a real bend in that edge at the depth that I want the finished stone to be. 

The last step is to go back and score the cracks again while the paint is still moist.  That gives the slate a nice rolled and aged looking edge. 

Now about those fingerprints.  Where's my brush?

See you tomorrow.

No comments: