Don't forget to poke the photos to enlarge!

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

"Hurry Up and Take the Picture!"

I finished the divan this morning.

Here are some of the steps if you want to do something similar.

The two pieces of ceiling tile were cut to 4 1/2" by 6 1/2".  You can make it any size you want, by cutting the tile and the card stock in that size.

You saw me finish the bottom layer the other day. 

The top layer is a bit more complicated.

I started by cutting a piece of card stock the same size as the tile.
I drew lines diagonally through the corners and then center lines both ways. Then I did it twice more to get what you see here. Each diagonal X will be a point for quilting.  Doing it this way makes the pattern more diamond shape than it would if  I just did them at a 45 degree angle.  I wanted them longer to match the shape of the divan.

I also poked a hole at each intersection to make the needle go through easier. 
 I put a double layer of batting under that that was at least 1/2" all around.  And then a layer of fabric, face down under that.  It was also larger than the batting by at least 1/2".

Here you can see the path that the quilting took.  I was taught long ago to start tufting in the center and work out.  That way, you don't go askew.

The trail starts in the center.  Then a hexagon forms around that.  It then leads to one end that is worked back and forth. 

Then I cut the thread and worked the other end in the same way.

I should mention, that I turn the pieces back and forth so that I can see where the knots will go on the top of the tufting. When taking the needle through to the bottom card again be sure to check to see that it is coming out approximately where you put it in.  I did a French knot at each intersection, on the front side and pulled the thread back through that and the other layers.

When I finished all of that, I trimmed the inner layer of batting even with the card.  The outer layer to a half inch and the fabric to about an inch all around.  That gives me padding for the sides and enough fabric to wrap around to the bottom and glue in place.  I simply pleated the fabric at each corner on two sides.  I overlapped it on the bottom and trimmed unnecessary layers so that it would lay flatter.
When I finished that, I clamped the two layers of ceiling tile together, with tacky glue between, and let it dry.

While it was drying, I made cording to go between the two parts.

I twisted a length of the pearl cotton that I used for tufting, in the direction that it was already twisted. Then I folded it back on itself by holding the center point and letting it twist around itself.  It can be straightened by running it through your fingers a few times.

To do the twisting, I tied one end to the handle on my work board.  I tied the other end to a pencil.  That makes it easier to turn quickly. 

Just make sure that you are going in the direction that it is already twisted.  If you don't, you will not have cord.  You will have a mess.

Now....Can you hear Tessie wailing, where you are?  She got the brilliant idea to stand on the new divan and hold up the front panel with the top of her head.  I want to emphasize that I didn't ask her to do it.  Unwashed bare feet on the new divan?

After I took the photos, I was laughing so hard that I just grabbed the camera and left the room.  She got into that mess all by herself. Now she needs someone to lift it off of her head.  I guess I should go rescue her now.  I can still hear her yelling.  Evidently she got some of the filigree tangled in her hair.

I also need to go rescue Zar's pillows.  Tessie is holding them hostage until I make some especially for the divan....Or as she is calling it, "The divine divan"... I have a feeling that she is going to be hard to push out the door, when I am finished with this project.

See you tomorrow.

9 comments:

Giac said...

Hello Casey,
That is a great technique! the finished product looks great...very comfortable!
Big hug,
Giac

Troy said...

Lookin' Good !

elizabeth s said...

Hi Casey! Just wanted to say that your divan looks divine! It is such a great solution to the bed dilemma and it certainly looks comfortable and cozy under that wooden canopy. Isn't it interesting how this build is developing. It is taking on kind of a Moorish look and Tessie is wearing the perfect pinafore too!

elizabeth

mcddiss said...

ese divan es un trabajo fantastico , es normal que Tessie haya querido apoderarse de el nada mas verlo , a mi tambien me gustaria

besitos

Mari

Marisa said...

oh ...you make it sound so easy but I know for a fact I would get confused and wind up with a mess


Hugs
Marisa

Caseymini said...

Marisa, it's just a matter of workong slowly an doing it one step at a time.

Mandystar said...

You inspire me, Casey! I love the divan. Can I sorta, kinda, steal your idea for my new build?

The rug is okay, but I'd like to see some green in it -- to pick up the color(s) from the throw pillows. Just a suggestion, see as how the rug isn't finished yet!

I look forward to both a lesson and a chuckle every day around this time!

Thanks again!

Caseymini said...

That's what the tutorials are there for, Mandy.if you look at today's blog, you will see that the pillows don't have any green in them. The pillows that were there we're from Zar's place.they are now back where they belong. And I am trying out another rug also. Things evolve.....

Lucille said...

I love that divan and that is beautiful fabric!