Don't forget to poke the photos to enlarge!

Thursday, May 2, 2013

So Much for the Loft....

OK.  I finished the windows/doors in the loft.  Too bad that they don't easily photograph....But they ARE done.

The dogs aren't too happy.  No more looking out upstairs windows.  Oh well.  They have food and water and shoes to chew...They will just have to go downstairs to see out. It is too hot in the summer and cold in the winter to leave them open.
Another project for downstairs.  So far I don't have any thread or yarn down there.

What I do have is a LOT of pony beads, left over from the paint jar project.

This is a fast and easy way to do crochet cotton balls.

For this one, I used stranded embroidery floss.  It is faster if you do it with the whole six strands....If you want to be more authentic, you can do it with a single strand.  It takes almost a yard of the six strand stuff, so I imagine that you would have to start with a lot more to do it single stranded.

I cut off a yard of floss and threaded it on a big needle.  Then, holding the tail in my left hand, I started going round and round the bead, through the center hole.  I was careful not to over lap the strands.  I made them lay side by side.

When it was fully covered with one layer, I stuck the needle under several of the vertical strands and started winding it around the middle.

 I did that about three times.  Then, with the needle, I tucked the thread under the wrap and cut it off. 

If you aren't sure that it will hold, you can put a tiny dab of glue under the end where you cut it off.  A toothpick is handy for that.

Also put a dab of glue on the first end and cut that close to the hole.
Here it is, in all it's glory.  Now all I have to do is another dozen or so in different colors.

I am almost done with the workroom!!!!

See you tomorrow.

6 comments:

Lucille said...

Hi Casey! I love your attic with all its boxes of stuff! Thank you so much for this cute wool ball tutorial. You do have so many tricks up your sleeve, just like a good witch!

Marilyn D. said...

Great idea for balls of crochet cotton - and so incredibly simple! I always think of the most difficult way to do a project first and stumble my way through until it's done. Maybe that inner 6-year old of yours is the way to go! Creative ideas - simply done. There really is something to that KISS principle, isn't there?! A great day to all in the Rice household - both big and
little!- Marilyn

Hannah said...

What a great idea for the ball of yarn. Thanks for sharing
Hannah

NyteFyre said...

You can also do wool on a pice of a drinking straw the same way.

Caseymini said...

Nite Fyre, that's how I did some for the "Rusty Needle" quilt shop, years ago, but it takes so much longer and a lot more thread. You have to wrap more to get the needed thickness to the ball. I am too lazy to do it the old way now...

Giac said...

Hello Casey,
That is such a great tip. The ball of yarn is perfect! Never would of thought of that.
Big hug,
Giac