Don't forget to poke the photos to enlarge!

Saturday, March 23, 2013

Digging Out...

I am trying, once again, to be an organized person....OK, I know that's not possible, but I am still going to try.

I wanted a smaller holder for just the tools that I use all the time.  So...I grabbed a basket and some Velcro and went to work.

I happened to have lots of both sticky and sew able Velcro in my stash. 

I used the hook part(sticky) in a long strip, on the inside rim of the basket.

Then, one at a time, I added the tools that I use the most, by standing them against the hook part of the tape and adding the loop part around them.  I adjusted it as I went.

The nice part about this is the loop tape can be adjusted to fit any tool at any time.  I think it is one of my better ideas....If the hook tape keeps a good hold.  It seems to be doing that so far.

For weight, so the basket wouldn't tip over, I added a big glue bottle and Tessie.  The glue bottle stayed in place.  Tessie didn't.
I then went back in the workroom and continued my quest for a neat and tidy space....It will be a long time coming.

Tessie helped....She found this pair and is trying to talk me into using them as part of the stone cottage...Her logic?  Cottage, stone.  Weird dragon creatures, also stone...They should go together.  Then she told me, "Just think of it as two more things that you won't have to find a place for in the workroom..."

Maybe I can make them disappear and she will forget about them.

I took everything out of the top drawer of my desk, including the divider trays. 

Look what I found under and behind.

I have been looking for that little L square for a long time. 

The pencil is a deco era mechanical one that someone gave me when I was a teenager...Just one problem.  I have never been able to find lead for it.  It requires SQUARE lead.  I have never even seen square lead.  Evidently it was a 20s or 30s thing. 

The third thing is a Victorian jeweler's glass, that I inherited from my dad.  It has three different lenses. Another mystery piece.  The insignia on it has letters, but they make no sense.

Anyway, on to better things.  I sorted through all of my pens and kept the ones that write.  Sadly, the gel pens die after a while.

They will live on as jars and maybe a few metallic and colored plastic bottles. 

I cut the top ends of the pens off with my micro-mark saw. It was an interesting process.  They cut very straight, but will still have to be sanded.  The plastic melts as you are sawing and you have funny plastic sawdust.

 I will pop out the colored tops and cut them down so that they look more like actual caps.  I can fill them from the bottom and seal with punched out dots of plastic.

All in all I made quite a haul and I have only begun to sort....

See you tomorrow.

6 comments:

susulone said...

What a fun idea to use the dead pens!

I have tons of them in my pen cup... maybe I should do that too! If only my dollhouse had a kitchen or does this mean that I have to start a new project? :P

Lucille said...

The pens do make cute little bottles! I like your idea for the pot of tools. It's very handy and can just sit on your desk. Enjoy your organizing, Casey! It's a never ending thing, isn't it? I keep my mini stuff in an armoire in my bedroom, in part of the buffet in my dining room, and those high plastic containers that have lots of drawers in them. I can't remember what they're called but they hold tons of stuff and don't take up much room which is a good thing because I don't have a lot of room. Perhaps when I win a sweepstake!

Caseymini said...

Susu, I will probably use some of the dead pen jars in my craft cottage. There always seems to be a place to put things, even if you don't have a kitchen.

Lucille, mine is more like always starting, rather than neverending...What's wrong with this picture?LOL

Fabiola said...

Thanks for this interestings idea with the dead pen.
Greetings, Faby

Debora said...

Thanks for the great idea!

wildbliss said...

If you use painters tape where your cutting it will help not melt your plastic tubing when cutting. Just place the painters tape so its on both sides of the cut. I read this somewhere for plexiglass.
Wildbliss