Don't forget to poke the photos to enlarge!

Thursday, July 12, 2012

Nellie Being Civil?

(Oops!!! Sorry this is late.  I wrote it this morning and somehow it didn't get published!)

Yup.  She was very nice all morning....I was working on getting her embroidery frame set up.

First I cut a piece of linen to fit the width of the frame and long enough to roll around both of the bars between.

I glued the ends of the linen around the bars, wrapping them around and under. 
Next, I took a doubled beige thread and laced the sides of the linen to the end bars, stretching the fabric as I went.

Then came the fun part.  I did some embroidery with silk thread.  I didn't try to finish the design, as this will be a work in progress.

As you can see, Nellie can now sit comfortably with her knees under the frame.

I am going to do some more embroidery.  It is only a few leaves, a couple of stems and some flower petals right now.

I will show you as it progresses further.
I plan to make her a pouncing cushion( for marking designs on the fabric)  and some pricked patterns.

I also need to stock her workroom with other accessories and threads.

There is a diagram in the Saint-Aubin book for a  thread winder that looks pretty easy and interesting. 

I still have to make her a simple rope bed, but she is not so insistent.  She has something to keep her busy during the day, so she will probably gladly sleep anywhere now.

In case you are wondering.  Yes, I am still trying to sort out the workroom too.  It's one of those weeks when I am going in 14 different directions at once. 

All I have to do is make a decision on which direction to go next....That's the hard part.

See you tomorrow.

4 comments:

Lucille said...

Nellie is such a beautiful doll, Casey. I know what you mean about going in different directions at the same time. All I did today was wash the kitchen floor, prepare the three meals and the dishes. I swept the hallway and the bathroom floor. Oh, yes, I watered the flowers. It's so weird, but I just want junk food when it's hot like this. Especially potato chips and popsicles. I ran out. I'll have to go early tomorrow morning because it's going to be in the forties here.

Claudia said...

Oh my goodness, I love that embroidery frame!

xo
Claudia

Kathi said...

Wow Casey! This looks so real! I love how you can see Nellie's dress when she is stitching. She looks beautiful! Love the little bow in her hair!
:D

Minka said...

Impressive! Love that frame...the fancy shoulder decoration on her sleeve.