Don't forget to poke the photos to enlarge!

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

This Old House......

Walter was my driver this morning. We wandered up and down streets looking for the fairytale houses. Found a few.

I would scream "Stop!" or "Back up!". He would do it. It was great fun. After he got the hang of it, he found a few of the cottages too.

This first one was being worked on...Unfortunately the builders left the ugly scaffolding in front.

The people that own it must have gotten tired of caring for the garden. The whole front yard was paved and there was a new garage built to the right. Very pretty house, but with the exception of the trees and flowers close to the house, no interesting landscaping.

This one is of the same era, but by a different designer. It is being worked on also.

They did a little better at adding a garage(right side front). It has all kinds of interesting details. I love the triple window on the ground floor. The gate to the left leads to....Nowhere. The little gate post with the oval window in the center is just for "cute". There is an arch behind it, but no real purpose that I could see....Maybe there is a door on the other side and they keep garden tools inside? The corner posts were all heavier at the bottom than the top. Almost Frank Lloyd Wright style.

This one is the only finished one that I will show you today. The visitor's office opens at 10. Then we will purchase a map to the houses.

Walter found this one and it is fantastic. I want to move in here.

If you enlarge the photo and look to the left side you will see a wonderful wave roof! The whole house had this.

The wrought iron gate looks to be hand made. The whole yard was like a jungle. I love the weather worn fence on the left side. The trees behind it were planted so close together that they look like another fence behind the first one.




Here's a view of the front of the house. I imagine that the garage was added later, but whenever it was done, it blends into the house perfectly.




I think that this one is my favorite so far. It is really beautiful.....Much inspiration for mini houses here. And it is done in the same colors as our real house.


Hopefully, we will find the other houses later today with the map. Until then, I will leave you with a friend that I made outside our hotel room. I have no idea what he is, but he is not afraid of people. I am going to have to see if I can find out who he is. For now, he is a mystery.


Time to go find a map.


See you tomorrow.

10 comments:

Patty said...

Great photos Casey. The bird is a California scrub jay and, you are right. They have no fear. I have one that has been taking peanuts off of my knee and hand for the last three years. It is so funny. One time we had family visiting and he showed up. There were several people on the patio and this bird got right in the middle of everyone and took peanuts from anyone that would hand him one!!

Phyllisa said...

Hi Casey. How exciting to be able to go see the Fairytale Cottages in Carmel, CA! After you mentioned them, I looked them up online and I have seen quite a few photos.Several photos I have "saved" for ideas for one of my unfinished miniature cottages. My house has the outside finished, but I can see where "cottage" details could be added.
Enjoy your trip!
Phyllisa

Lucille said...

Hi Casey! Hope you're having a nice holiday! I love the house with the wave roof and the whimsical hand made wrought iron gate. I also love the blue panes on that huge window and it is dressed as I like a window of that sort to be dressed! That bird is a real beauty!

Caseymini said...

I think that the weaver's cottage may take on a bit more of the Carmel style.

Lataina said...

These houses are adorable! I want one!!! LOL =)

rosethe-minima said...

le cottage est adorable. Merci de nous faire découvrir les "petites merveilles" de votre pays.
Minima

Giac said...

Hello Casey,
I want that first house for myself and that little friend for a neighboor. What great pictures! I can't wait to see what you'll do with all this inspiration.
All the best,
Giac

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous cottages! The first photo screams "Glencroft cottage" by GL, how pretty it would be done in miniature!

Sans! said...

Love the houses, Casey, thanks for sharing. You make me feel like posting the rural farm houses i saw in an outdoor museum in Germany.

Minka said...

Love these photos! Hope you make some minis based on them