Don't forget to poke the photos to enlarge!

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

There Was a Crooked House....

You may be wondering why I am late today....I have a good excuse. Honest.

I just purchased my very first, after thirty years of doing this, house that somebody else made.

One of the Wednesday Witches was getting rid of it and I jumped on it. Sue has patiently watched me drool over this little house for years... Almost nineteen years, to be exact.

She brought it back from England and the drooling commenced.

It was made by Graham Wood. He makes copies of real houses in England.

Sue told me that this one is a crooked house that is in Windsor, close to the palace. I am going to have to see if I can find any information about it on the net.

Here's the label on the back of the house. It gives information about the business, but unfortunately nothing about the house that it was a copy of.

Please note. Tessie latched onto it as soon as it was in the back door.

She took one look at it and said, under her breath, "Casey must have been drinking when she bought this...It's crooked."

"I heard that! I have not been drinking!" Then I proceeded to try to explain how special a crooked house is in England. She wasn't buying it. Finally I lost patience and told her, "If you don't like it, go live somewhere else."

That did it. She brought out the broom and started cleaning up. As she worked, she kept mumbling to herself...."It's crooked...It's special....It's crooked...It's special???"

To add insult to injury, Zar wandered in carrying an open bottle of something green....Don't ask....

He eyed her, took a swallow of whatever was in the bottle and said..."Huh! It looks straight to me!"

I had to take the broom away. She was about to beat him around the head and shoulders with it.

I got a little closer and heard him say, "I like it. If you don't want it, I'll take it."

Tessie slammed the door in his face.

I guess that was a "NO!".

She did let him in to look around, but on no uncertain terms will he ever get to live there....As far as that goes, I am not sure that Tessie will either. I may just put a "To Let" sign in the window and see who shows interest. There IS a homeless Elizabethan lady that wanders around the bookcase in the family room...

You might know it...the only thing wrong with the whole thing(besides its being crooked) is some of the plastering is coming off of the chimney....More chimneys? I thought that I was going to be finished with that kind of thing when the Weaver's Workshop was done.

Maybe I can get Zar to do it. He seems to be partially plastered already...

Anyway, that's my story so far and I'm sticking to it.

See you tomorrow.

6 comments:

Mary said...

It's a very handsome crooked house, I look forward to seeing how you decorate it.

Lucille said...

Hi Casey! What a lovely house. On the last photo, I could see more clearly the features such as the huge paned window in the front. I love the roof top! I can't wait to see it all decorated. I also love the pattern of the brickwork! I can see why you've always wanted it.

ЛисаНаРассвете said...

Дом действительно очарователен. Его кривизна делает его особенным, с изюминкой.... Интересно, если ли сейчас прототип этого дома и как он был построен?

minigardener said...

Casey, there is info on the original crooked house history here: http://www.crooked-house.com/#/history/4539370630

It is a wonderful house!

rosanna said...

It does exists and I saw it a few times.
The mini version is lovely , Rosanna

Caseymini said...

I have looked at the info on the site that Minigardener sent. I am now thinking that this is not that house. That may have given Graham Wood the idea for it, but this is a totally different design. For one thing, there is no overhang on the front of the second story and the window configuration is very different. Unless the remodeling destroyed all of the original details, I think that is likely some other house totally.