Don't forget to poke the photos to enlarge!

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Seven With One Blow!

No. I am not killing flies. I am making chairs.

This morning, on the way back from town, I stopped at the Dollar Tree. I may just have to stop again. I got a real bargain on The Original Super Glue Gel! Three tubes for a dollar in a resealable storage bag. I don't know if they are discontinuing this particular wrapper or what, but I grabbed one to make sure that they were OK. I didn't want to buy a bunch and find that they were not any good.

I have used this stuff for years to put Chrysnbon Kits together. I love the gel form. I only stick three fingers together at a time with this, instead of the eight that I stick together with the runny kind.

I also found some nice, small wooden boxes, but those will be for the stash.

Back to the super glue. I decided to finish the ten Chrysnbon chair kits that I recently ordered. I don't know what I did with the first three. They are somewhere around here. I probably hid them on myself, in a fit of frustration. I didn't have any super glue and I tried something else....It didn't go well...

So, with the other seven chair kits in hand, I started putting on what they call stain.....I call it a really weird paint. After you get used to using it, it turns out a pretty nice finish. Just don't call it stain....It isn't. Plastic doesn't stain. It gets painted.


I paint all of the parts whilst they are still all together.

Then one at a time, I built them. Here's one of the Victorians. They are the easiest to put together. The cross braces for the bottom are connected on the front and back. The side pieces are a rectangle that fits into slots on the front and back legs.

This one is ready to finish assembling the bottom. Basically, all I have to do is slide the ends into the slots on the back and the chair, with the exception of the seat is finished. Simple.

Here it is....Now all I have to do is put the cane center in the seat and glue that to the top of the two front legs and the little slots in the back legs.

There are two curved braces that sit on top of that and connect the seat and back for strength. With those glued into place, I have a finished chair....

If you do that seven times, this is what you get.

It only took a matter of minutes for all of that work to disappear. Tessie zapped them all away to places where they were needed.

I am so happy to have enough chairs, so that I don't have to keep moving them from place to place.....Now, if I could just find the other three, I would be happy.

I am off to search for them now.

You all have been keeping me ahead at the polls for the last few days. Thanks bunches!

See you tomorrow!

4 comments:

Linda said...

I think I've been inspired to visit my local Dollar Tree. :-D

Lucille said...

Wow, Casey! You certainly did a super quick job on those chairs. We don't have Dollar Tree here. We have Dollarama. I think they sell that glue. I'll have to have a look because I have a few Chrysnbon kits of my own to build.

Heather said...

Excellent dollar store find... I always manage to get Super Glue everywhere when I use it... the ones that come in the little metal tubes just keep pumping it out... I can't make it stop!!!

Heather said...

Excellent dollar store find... I always manage to get Super Glue everywhere when I use it... the ones that come in the little metal tubes just keep pumping it out... I can't make it stop!!!