Don't forget to poke the photos to enlarge!

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Sometimes Uneaven Is Good...

...As in draperies. As we go along in the series of five, the draperies get a bit more complicated, but that is only in the way that they look. They are really pretty much the same all the way through.

For this uneven style, I used the same center pattern, but cut it just a little longer so that I would have something to hem the top. Sometimes this part shows over the top of the rod.

I also used the same jabot pattern for the side pieces, but I added a piece for the top of the longer side.

It takes a bit of reverse thinking to do this piece. You would think that the longer side would be at the outside of the window. Nope. It's at the center. I am going to make that part very drape-y. So there has to be extra fabric to make the curve.

You are probably wondering why I am cutting a separate piece for the top part....That's how they did it back in Victorian times. Some of the patterns in the book are cut this way for real curtains....So why not do it for minis. The tie back hides the join, so no problem in putting the pieces together.

I did do one thing "wrong", but only if this were for a specific window. Without thinking, I cut the top of the long curtain for the left side instead of the right....Oh well....

As you can see, I turned under the edges with glue from a syringe. The bottom edges of the two jabot pieces are about a half inch. All of the others are one eighth.

After the glue is dry, I flipped them over and got out my 1,000 pins.

I didn't use quite all of them for this.

For the center piece, I followed the picture in the book. On the side with the short jabot the swag pleats are pulled all the way to the top and flattened over one another. This part goes OVER the rod and covers the top of the jabot piece on that side.

The other side(left in this case) just gets pleated in the normal way. Not so tight. This end goes under the top of the left curtain.

Now you can see why I needed the center to be longer than the side in the top part of the curtain. By pulling the pleats over to the edge tightly on the bottom, I have a nice loose curve on the curtain edge.

That is as far as I am going today. I have to do the "hairspray twice" bit now. Tomorrow I will make the under curtain and fit them together in the box.... I am liking the way this one is looking. I think that I am going to have to find a room box or somewhere else to use this on.

I have to go spray now.

Thanks for voting! Keep up the good work! Tessie is being so nice right now. She is still marching around with the sign, but now she doesn't stop to rap my knuckles with it when I am typing!

See you tomorrow.


Lucille said...

You're a real pro, Casey! It's amazing how quickly you work! Ten chairs yesterday and a window treatment today!!

Caseymini said...

Lucille, You are always too nice! It was only seven chairs yesterday.LOL And part of a window treatment today...