Don't forget to poke the photos to enlarge!

Monday, July 18, 2011

Sidetracked Sadie....

You can just call me that today and today only. I haven't done a lick of minis.

I went to meet April for coffee. When I got home, I started the usual Monday chores. Load #2 is in the washer now. One bathroom is officially as clean as it's going to get.

Break time!!!

This is what I was doing last night. See all of the cabochons laying in the boxes? Between the stones and the ones that I made with resin, there are 52 all mounted on backing and ready to use.

Why did I take these out and start sorting? My friend Jo just took a basket class that wasn't really a basket class. It was really a jewelry making class. she started with a cabochon and was shown how to work around it with coiled basket techniques, to turn it into a necklace. The two that she turned out were very pretty.

When I saw them, I decided that it would be a good way to use up some of these cabochons.


As I was digging through the trays, I found five beaded pendants already started. The four outer ones are actual stones. The one at the center top is one that I made from a piece of a page from a magazine, a metal liner of an eyeshadow tray and some resin.

Walter says, if something sits still long enough, I will bead it. He's right, but thanks to Jo, I am now trying the coiled basket technique to see what I can do with that.

Here are a couple of pieces that I started last night. I am using over dyed floss. Three strands of that over hemp on the left and over cloth covered wire on the right. I think that the hemp is interesting, but the cloth covered wire is more controllable. The right one is a piece of mother of pearl that has been sawn into a flat piece. It is hard to see the beauty in the photo. I will have to try to get a better one if the piece turns out.

I am seeing all sorts of possibilities with these. I used a buttonhole stitch on the left one and let it twist around the hemp on the top left corner. I am thinking that some of my lace making stitches could be very interesting and adding beads is a possibility too. Poke the photos if you want a closer look.

I am off now to change the loads in the washer and dryer, then clean another bathroom.....Then maybe a couple of lace stitches whilst on a break from housework.

See you tomorrow.

2 comments:

Phyllisa said...

Hi Casey. As far as you have gotten with the cabochons, I prefer the
beaded ones. Perhaps when you finish a coiled ones, I will like them too.
I'm thinking it would be a good project to try myself.
I'm wondering if you sell the finished beaded necklaces?
I really like how the Shower Tower
turned out.
Phyllisa

Merri said...

Well, as 'they' say.."Busy hands are happy hands!" LOL!