Don't forget to poke the photos to enlarge!

Friday, October 15, 2010

Until Midnight, My Time....

This is the last day that you can put a comment on Monday's blog to enter the drawing. Good luck to all.
I thought that I would show you some of the possibilities of the fans that I bought.

The top row, by Tessie's feet is all the one fan from Walmart. The second row, at the bottom of the photo is the one that I have been using. It was from a garage sale, so I doubt if you can find one, unless just by chance.

I think that there are a lot of possible uses for the pieces. First I cut them up into parts. At the far left is the main body of the fan and next to it is a piece of filigree that I trimmed out of the middle. I can see this as maybe some carving on a piece of furniture. Stain the pieces before you stick them together. Remember that stain won't go through glue.

The next part was the very top section of the fan.This one can be trimmed several ways. First you see the untrimmed piece. I can see this as part of a chair back. The same with the second wedge shaped piece. The third one, I found that you could get a pretty good rectangle from it. I wondered about using three or four of them stood on end and glued together as a square or triangular lamp. You could put tissue paper on the inside to make it into a shade. Nice table lamp.

The last one could also be used as furniture carving. The ideas are endless, once you start thinking about them. They would also make good wrought iron if they were painted black and aged a bit. There is a lot of extra wood in the plain part of the fan also.

Now. About the drawing..... Last night I made a plant stand to match the table....

Tessie took one look at it and stated, "It needs ferns!". And then, "It's MINE!"

I told her that she could have those two pieces and more, if she would let me send out the other pieces for the drawing.

I think that it was the plant stand that did the trick. She will be the only one that has that one for a while....Don't tell her that I can make more later.

I guess that I will go make her a fern for the plant holder. Maybe she will stop harping at me if I do that.

Anyway, that's about all until tomorrow.

See you then.

11 comments:

Patty said...

Casey, What fun to see what you have done to your fans. I bought myself 3 of them a couple of months ago at World Market just so I could take them apart too! I look forward to seeing what you do with yours! Aren't the laser cut pieces perfect!!!

Unknown said...

That fan really does come with some great pieces and all of your idea/suggestions are wonderful. I love the plant stand, too, and I am glad Tessie was able to twist you out of something. Maybe it will placate her long enough for you to get some other stuff done!

Where in walmart did you get the fan? I think it would make great wrought iron additions to my railing on the terrace...

Thmini2 said...

Those are so cool! I love your ideas for them. I will have to look at Walmart also. I hope they have them as they have remodled so many cool things right out of the stores. We have 3 stores here and they have all changed so much. Good luck to all who have ented the contest. Of course I am hoping it will me who wins! I posted my entry on monday.

Nicole said...

It's amazing how much possibilities you see in one thing like a fan. I'm really impressed and I also like the wicker furnitures so much. Thanks for sharing your ideas!

Tallulah Belle said...

Wow these are wonderful. I've not seen any in Wm but I wasn't looking. What section are they in ?

I love the idea of making lamp out of one with paper inside...that would be wonderful.

Caseymini said...

The fans are in the potpourri section of WM. At least that is where they are in our store.

Sans! said...

Thanks for showing the fans, Casey. I was curious how the sandalwood ones look like. If I gather enough, these can be used for windows as well. You are spot on about the possibilities. I also like the wooden ones better because they are thinner. Jewellery findings can be a bit heavy and bulky by mini's standard.

Susanne said...

Casey, using the fans this way is a fantastic idea, and I will be looking everywhere for it (and pieces like that) from now on!
Thanks for showing us.
Love, Susanne

Heather Cutting-Rayl said...

Casey! I love the ideas about the fans! I have a few here and have looked at them a couple of times with no ideas! I'm off to the saw as we speak! Thanks so much!

Claudia said...

What a neat way to use fans! I'm happy Tessie is now happy.

xo
Claudia

jose said...

yo estuve buscando un abanico como ese pero no lo encontré y desistir de buscar para mi bungalow y ademas me encanta tu blogs haces trabajos estupendos con esos ayudantes