Don't forget to poke the photos to enlarge!

Friday, August 27, 2010

Never Leave the Keyboard.......

I went out shopping this morning, since I didn't really want to start working on the townhouse yet. Did I mention that the lighting got here yesterday afternoon?

First I went to Michael's where I picked up a few findings to replace the ones that I have pretty much used up. I needed to use the 40% coupon before tomorrow....

Since I was already in the neighborhood, I stopped at the 22nd Street Antique Mall. Not one mini in sight, or even anything that I could turn into a mini. I did find a couple of tatting shuttles for my collection though.


The black one and the white one in the center row are the ones that I found. Probably early 20th century. I thought that I might as well show you the rest while I had the box out. The top row are just plain run of the mill shuttles, each a little different from the next. I usually pick those up for about a quarter a piece at garage sales. I like them because I can load each one with a different thread and don't have to keep looking for another shuttle. With those, the bobbins slip out for winding.

The second row consists of other purchased ones. They are of various materials and most are early to mid 20th century.

The bottom row is my pride and joy. the first three are from my Grandma Daisy, the fourth one is my great Grandma Mary's and the last two are some that April brought me back from Russia on one of her trips. They are about twice the size of the other ones and hold twice the thread. I don't think that the Russians like to wind bobbins any more than I do.

Anyway, that was the sum total of a couple hours of shopping.

Now for the rest of the story......I told you that the lighting got here yesterday.....I didn't tell you that there was a little something extra in the box.....

To my surprise, when I opened it, there were two extra boxes in the shipping carton.

Tessie was perched on the edge of the box and seemed to be overly excited about the lighting contained inside...... She jumped down into the carton, grabbed the two smaller boxes and ran.

Meanwhile, I checked the shipping list and made sure that all of the lights that I ordered were there.....They were.....Then I spotted, at the bottom of the list, two added items. The first line said Eames Lounge chair......The second one said Eames footstool.....I didn't order either of these.

I thought a minute or two and then remembered. When I was ordering, Tessie was looking over my shoulder and pointing at things that she wanted. I showed her the Eames chair and told her that I had always wanted a people sized one. I went on about my business and didn't think of it again....Until I saw the shipping list. Then it dawned on me what had happened. I had everything ordered and was ready to check out.

I had to stop and go check on dinner. I was only gone for a few minutes. I thought it was kind of strange when I got back to the computer that the page telling me that my order was completed and on the way. I thought that I must have pushed the button before I went to the kitchen.

OK. I am not crazy.....Well not completely. I didn't push that button! Piecing things together, I realized that Tessie completed the forms. She added in the Eames chair and footstool and then pushed the button to complete the order!

I went looking for her and sure enough, there she was ensconced in the chair with her feet up, chatting with Zar.

She turned and looked at me. Before I could say a word, she said, "Thank you so much for recommending this chair, Casey." And then, "I may never leave it again."

I know how comfy those chairs are. I sat in one a long time ago and I didn't want to ever leave it either. How could I take it away from her?

She slept in it last night. This morning she zapped it wherever she wanted to be at the time. She is now in the bedroom watching the big screen, as she calls it.

The chair was worth every penny. It is so peaceful around here that it's scary! I wonder how long this is going to last?

See you tomorrow.

7 comments:

Ara said...

I know how she feels! There's nothing like an Eames! -ara

elis said...

Great collection! Thanks for sharing with us.
Elis

Susanne said...

That Tessie, that Tessie...!
Well, I have one tatting shuttle as you call it, which I inheriated from my grand mother in the early 1970´es a long with a book about the subject. It´s what I would call "early plastic", since it´s 1950 colours and a very hard kind of material. My grandma used to sew a lot of dresses for me (she had a shop too), and with each one followed a handkerchief with a matching ribbon made this way..
Unfortunately I don´t have those anymore.
Maybe I should give it a try...
Love, Susanne

Claudia said...

Oh, that Tessie! I have sat in a few Eames chairs in my day and oh, they are comfortable indeed.

I love your tatting shuttles - what a neat collection!

xo
Claudia

Caseymini said...

I'm glad that you all like the shuttles. Susanne, you should try using the shuttle. There are directions on line for tatting. Just put "tatting instructions" in your search. You should get quite a few. Have fun with it!

Unknown said...

¡Me encanta tu colección de lanzaderas! Mi madre las usaba para hacer frivolité.
El lio de los cables de la luz seguro que lo resuelves muy bien, ya veremos como Tessie va guardando las velas.
Besos Clara.

Susanne said...

Thanks Casey, maybe I will give it a try..
Love, Susanne