Don't forget to poke the photos to enlarge!

Thursday, August 26, 2010

Playing for Time....

I went into the workroom with the intention of working on minis this morning. I messed with some of the solid glass grapes and other beads and findings for a while. I made three bottles and discovered that I really wasn't in the mood.

It's cloudy outside and just dreary. I want my sun back. It's a good thing that the monsoon season is almost finished.

I am waiting for an order of lights, etc. for the the townhouse to get here. There was a 20% sale at HBS this week, so I figured it was a good time to get them. They should be here in the next day or two. As soon as they get here, I am going to get seriously to work. Tessie wants the house finished and I want to do something else. I realllllly want to do something else. Reallllly.

When I got bored with beads, I spotted the little lidded basket that I bought at a garage sale a couple of weeks ago. That would be a quick item to make fancy.

It's just the right size to put a couple of mini rug projects in while I am working on them, so I went to work.

I stained it with provincial Min Wax the same day that I brought it home, so it was ready to work on.

First I measured the inside and lined it with black foam core. Nothing fancy because I will be the only one to see it. I just wanted to make it so that I wouldn't loose needles through the loosely woven outside.

Then I cut pieces of illustration board to fit the inner and outer recesses of the lid. I padded both pieces with one layer of bonded batting and covered each with some bright, happy material that Tessie picked out of the stash.....She says that the box would make a cozy place to hide when she wants to get away from Zar....She is now trying to talk me into padding the whole interior....For some reason, that gives me visions of a padded cell......

Anyway, here's the outside. The red button was meant to be. It was laying on the worktable under the Ott light, just waiting to be used.

I am thinking that I should do some more digging and see if I can find some ribbon or trim to cover the side edges of the top. They were not very well finished.

I have a feeling that Tessie is going to have some fun hiding in there and jumping out at me whilst I am trying to work....Not a Jack in the box...Tessie in the Box. I wonder why I have never seen a female person jumping out of a box before. Maybe she will start a new fad.....

OK. Enough stalling. I am going back to work now.....Unfortunately, I will be cleaning out the real refrigerator.....As they say, "Reality Bites!"

See you tomorrow.

5 comments:

Kathi said...

Love what you are doing with the cool basket. It will be perfect for carrying around some mini projects.
I can't wait to see how you do the lights! I want lights in my Flaming Inn but don't even know what to buy!?
I see kits and accessories and fixtures galore. Any ideas on where to begin??

Caseymini said...

Kathi, I am not a good example of how to wire. I do it, as they say, by the seat of my pants.(whatever that means) I do it with what I call the tree and branches method. I don't think that it is a legitimate way of doing it, but it works for me. I have used round wire for all of the time that I have been doing minis and don't think that I will ever change over to tape. I have seen too many miniaturists have trouble with it. That is just a personal preference though. I suggest that you find a good dollhouse book with a section on wiring and go from there. Good luck.

April said...

The basket turned out really cute! That was a good buy.

Unknown said...

Tessie está encantada con las botellas preciosas que hiciste. La cesta una buena compra, siempre aprovechas todo lo que cae en tus manos.
Espero que la limpieza de la nevera no te canse para despues seguir con tu hobbie.
Besos Clara.

May said...

Menos mal que tienes a Tessi para ayudarte en todo.jeje.
Las botellitas muy bonitas y la cesta, muy buena compra.
Besitos, May