Don't forget to poke the photos to enlarge!

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Healing the Black and Blue.....

I finally figured out why I never liked the ribbon chair....Black and blue just don't do it for me. I decided to give painting it a go. You saw the "before" yesterday. Blah.....

Tessie took one look at the pattern and said, "Zebra". I figured it couldn't hurt. Anything would be better than the original. After several hours of painting, here it is. At least we will be able to see it now. It's no longer dull.

I simply got out my light ivory and painted all of the blue parts white, but it did take a very small brush and lots of patience.

With a bright colored pillow in it, I think it will be a show stopper, however, Tessie keeps pointing to the seam in the center of the seat and mumbling something that sounds like, "Zebra's butt...." Then she starts giggling hysterically.... We may be painting it again.....

I had to make a run over to "Miniature Memories" this morning for some wood that I ordered a couple of weeks ago. Some of it was back ordered....I did get a few pieces of something else that I think will work for what I have in mind.

On the way back, I stopped at one of the thrift shops and look what I found for one dollar and fifty cents! It is a silk mesh embroidery kit for a pin/necklace. There is enough #40 silk mesh for about four pins. There is also an ornate frame, silk thread, a chain to make it into a necklace and patterns.
Someone had started one of the roses. Other than that, the kit was like new. I imagine it was way more than $1.50 when new.

Tessie volunteered to pose with the frame.....Now I can't get it back. She grabbed my favorite pliers and has been struggling with the pin back, trying to remove it.

I don't think that she will be successful, but if she is, more power to her. I probably would never wear it as a pin and if she really wants to hang it somewhere in the townhouse, she can. Besides, it will probably keep her entertained for hours just trying to get it off....I just heard her yelling at Zar to come help her....Her and Zar with a large pair of pliers? Not a good idea. The phrase "More harm than good" comes to mind....I had better go see what's happening.

See you tomorrow.

6 comments:

Jo Raines said...

Why can't I ever come across finds like that?! And I can't believe all that painting you did on the zebra chair! Amazing! It looks great.

Jody

MiniKat said...

The chair looks great, Casey. I think it looks much better as a traditional zebra print. Lime colored pillow perhaps?

If you want more of those cool frames for anything, Nordic Needle has them. I saw them in the latest catalog.

Caseymini said...

Jody, that chair had absolutely no flat surfaces anywhere. That's why it took so long to paint.

Kat, I'll bet that Nordic Needle's price is a bit steeper than the thrift shop.LOL

Mini Beginnings said...

I love the chair, great paint job!

I wish we had more thrift shops round here but there's not many to be found in a little village and surrounding area, never mind. I enjoy seeing what you find, that brooch was a bargain. I look forward to seeing what you do with it.

Emma

miniacollection said...

The zebra chair is great. That's a very good idea.
Geneviève

Deni said...

OH dear "Zebra's Butt" hey?
I can't stop giggling......and after all your very intricate painting work too.. tch! It Looks great!
What a great find!!! never find anything like that here in OZ, that would be in the thrift shops!