Don't forget to poke the photos to enlarge!

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

A Series of Very Fortunate Events.......

Our vacuum bit the dust a few days back....I decided that it was time to throw in the towel and go get a new one. Walter and I both did online research and I went to Best Buy to purchase one.

After I finished there, something or someone told me that I needed to go to the Assistance League Thrift Shop. It is way over by where April lives and I don't very often get there unless we plan to go together. I kind of felt like someone was whispering in my ear "You MUST go to that thrift shop. You MUST go to that thrift shop." There are several thrift shops that are closer. There is even one that is almost next door to Best Buy. I opted not to go to any of the closer ones. The weird thing was, it sounded strangely like Tessie's voice. How could I resist? I usually wind up doing what she wants anyway. So I went.
I wandered around for a while and then I saw this.

It looks like a kit of some kind, but I have never seen it before. It's not very big, but interesting in shape. Someone did a good job putting it together and painted it white. That's as far as they got. Hey! What more could you ask? Well put together and primed. I looked at the price and grabbed it. It was $5.00.

As you can see, Tessie approves. She thinks that it would make a good shop of some kind.

The basket on the porch comes later in the story.

I looked to the left and just about fainted.(Not really)There was a Houseworks Porch Kit! It was all put together and unpainted. Also with a $5.00 price tag!

Tessie took one look at it and announced "Hey! All you have to do is build a house behind it and put some steps in front so that I don't have to jump."

Yup. That's all I have to do.

I took those two up to the front and paid. I rushed them to my car and came back in. There was a third building.....It was a poor forlorn Sweetheart cottage that someone had decorated for Easter. A lady was looking it over pretty good, so I figured that one was a goner....I made a silent deal with myself. If she let go of it, I would adopt that poor orphan too, but only if it was 5.00. That seemed to be the going rate. She really messed with it inside and out. Then abruptly walked away. I acted just like Tessie. I pounced on it and in my mind I yelled "MINE!!!".

That one will need the most work, but the Sweetheart Cottage is one of my all time favorite houses. It is just the right size for a shop.

When Tessie saw that one, she freaked! "What did you do to my house? Did you make a deal with the Easter Bunny to rent it? How dare you?" Then she turned around with a gleam in her eye....."This means I don't have a place to live! You will have to build Spiderwort Manor."

"Tessie, I hate to disillusion you. Look up on the shelf. Your house is still up there. This is just a duplicate." I knew I shouldn't have said that!

She started jumping up and down, shaking her fists and shouting. "You mean to tell me that my house is not original? Zar's house is more original than mine is. I don't want to live there anymore. I need a new house!!!!!".

I had to think fast. I tossed my last purchases on the table and she started to purr like a kitten when I said " These are to make up for the mistake. We will start your house soon." I didn't say how soon. I may be foolish, but I'm not stupid.

About the last purchases... After I left the thrift shop,I figured I was on a roll so I stopped at my favorite antique mall.

One of the stalls had a bunch of unopened, House of Miniatures kits just sitting there waiting for some sucker to buy them.....Here I am! They were priced at 4.50 and 5.00 a piece. I looked up and there was a sign on the edge of the booth that said "Everything in this booth is 40% off". Tell me that was not a signal for me to buy...I purchased 6.

Between the three structures and the kits, Oh and the basket on the porch ($1.00) I spent $34.89. I just tried looking up the price on the kits....The Chippendale desk kit is selling on one e bay site for $25.00 right now! I didn't see any of them for less than $6.oo.....Good deal? I think so. I paid under three dollars for each kit.

Now about Spiderwort Manor.....It is just going to have to wait. I want to play with the orphans. Don't tell Tessie!!!! Please!!!

See you tomorrow.

14 comments:

Katie said...

Oh WOW! What a great find!! 3 houses and furniture!! WOW!! I;m still shocked~ And all for under $40!!! Go Casey!! The furniture is the same as the ones I got from Grandpas attic last summer.....although it looks like you got some different ones then I did. Can't wait to see what you do with them!!!

Katie

Deni said...

Oh Casey! what a wonderful find!!!
I can't believe it finding those little houses and furniture!
I'm so excited for you they are gorgeous!

You would scream if you knew what I had to pay here no one has them at any thrift shops none at all here not many people dollhouse!

Jill said...

OMG! Were the mini gods with you, or what?! Such great deals! I actually scored a House of Mini plant stand kit for $1 at a thrift store several months ago-- it had never been open! I'm really excited to see what you do with all your wonderful finds!
Hugs,
Jill

Walter Rice said...

I knew there would be trouble if I left you and Tessie at home together! Good finds. I love you.
Walter

Anonymous said...

How fantastic is that!!! What great deals. I wish we had stores like that here. Congratulations on your great finds!

Caseymini said...

I am really happy about the finds. I think that this is the first time I have EVER found dollhouse structures for a reasonable price at any thrift shop. Usually, even the thrift shops want an arm and a leg for them. It's about time! LOL The morning put me in a very good mood for the rest of the day!

Susan@minicrochetmad said...

How cool! I'll smile all day for you :)

Kathi said...

WOW! You really hit the jackpot!
I've NEVER seen a dollhouse at a thrift store and I've NEVER see any unopened kits at an antique mall!!
You were certainly in the right place at the right time! YIPPEEE for you!!
:)

Deni said...

It would certainly do that for me too Casey!
Singing around the house all day long
Can't wait to see what you end up with!
Tell Tessie to help you more with her wand get things happening faster......instead of holding you up there lol

Sans! said...

You have them all watching over you, mini Gods, angels of little, guardians of the lilliputties. You don't know what this post does to a bargain hunter like me but congratz esp if this is one of those rare moments you have in finding something priced so cheaply. May they continue to watch over you!

rosanna said...

Oh Oh... that's sheer luck! There are not mini makers here, nor thrifty shops, but if I'm ever to come by your place I want to have a good look at them. Enjoy Rosanna

Kim said...

Wow!!! Amazing finds! I know you will work magic on all of them, can't wait to see what you do with the orphans.

April said...

Way to go! I am surprised that the going rate was $5. I wish I could have gone with you. Maybe next time...

Debbie said...

Congratulations on all your mini finds Casey. I bet your over the moon that you listened to that little voice.. Looking forward to seeing what your going to do with them..xx