Since I finished the workroom, it was only logical to work my way out to the rest of the house. I wanted to see if I could replicate the folded star quilt. In order to do this, I had to find some solid colored fabric.....In order to find solid color fabric, I had to venture into the hall closet just outside the workroom....Good intentions are often not good. I wound up taking everything out of the closet(mostly fabric) and starting from scratch. This closet is kind of around the corner and hard to take a photo as proof of work finished.
I can actually see everything in there now. Before it was like Fibber Mc Gee's closet....OK. I am sure that some people don't even know who that is. He was famous for having a closet that, when he opened the door, everything fell out on his head.
I did find the fabric in the process. I drew a diagram of the quilt blocks from yesterday's entry. Literally. I put the quilt away and already it has been swallowed up by the evil workroom.
I grabbed a pile of plain colors and a glue stick and went to work. I didn't expect to turn out a finished quilt the first try, so I just temporarily glued the pieces together to get an approximation of how to do it.
I will show you the steps. If you try it, please sew. Do Not Glue! Don't do as I do. Do as I say! That is, if you want a finished product that you can use. I didn't measure I just snipped off some strips and squares and went at it.
It was pretty easy. First I laid down the center piece. Then I folded the white strips with some glue inside to hold them. Next I cut some pink strips and did it again.
If I were sewing this, I think that I would cut about half of the back side of each strip off to lessen the bulk.
The third layer was the blue diamonds. I simply cut a square about 4 times the finished diamond and folded it diagonally, with the glue inside again. Then I folded the two corners down to the center point. I glued the folded point of one of these to each of the four sides, centering them.
Then I went back to strips and glued the light blue on to make the next layer.
The yellow layer was once again the folded diamonds like the blue. This time there was one in each corner and one in the center of each side.
The last layer was simply a single diagonal folded triangle, placed in each corner. They are alternate colors on the original.(See yesterday's photo.)
My assistant says that when I make her a quilt "we" are definitely going to sew it! She is not crazy about puce school glue. Too sticky!
Anyway, there you have it. In the original quilt, each block was a different color arrangement. The edge was simply more long strips to fit around the quilt and the final edge was wrapped around to the back and stitched down.
Maybe one of these days I will do one the proper way. For now, this will have to do. If any of you try it, I would love to see the results. Have fun!
See you tomorrow.