Don't forget to poke the photos to enlarge!

Friday, May 1, 2009

Hiding Out...

First of all, if you decide to try the rug pattern that I had in yesterday's blog, it should be done in cross stitch. If you do it in needlepoint the checkerboard areas won't turn out as checks. They will turn out as stripes and short dashes.
Now on to other things. To be specific, lets talk about hiding the dumbwaiter. This morning I started a spice shelf for the kitchen. It is exactly the width of the dumbwaiter and just a bit longer.

I used scraps of bass wood and Victorian trim. I cut the back from the bass wood and then cut two sides from the scalloped trim. Then I cut two end pieces that were the exact height of the widest part of the trim pieces and exactly the width of the back board. I cut 3 shelves that were 1/16" shallower than the end pieces so that they would fit flush with the side pieces.

I then glued the sides, top and bottom to the outside of the back. I let them dry in the gluing jig.

When that was dry, I cut two strips of 1/8"X 1/16" stock to fit across the top and bottom front.

I cut 5 pieces of 1/16" double bead molding to fit across the front of the shelves, top and bottom to give it a more finished look.

I still need to sand it some and paint or stain it. I am leaning towards painting it ivory to match the trim in the rest of the kitchen. I don't want it to stand out too much.

This will be hinged and swing out into the room when Zar wants to put anything into the dumbwaiter.
I also built the box for the dumbwaiter itself. Now all I have to do is put it all together and install.

I also started making the rug from yesterday.....Yes. I know that I shouldn't start another rug. I can't help it. It's like eating potato chips. Never just one. They all get done sooner or later. Meanwhile Tessie is working her few stitches to stake a claim on it.

This is going to be a short one. April and Seth are on their way back from mountain biking. I have to bake brownies. Then I'm back to cross stitching if I can get it away from Tessie.

See you tomorrow.

10 comments:

rosanna said...

A very good idea, I love the spice rack. It would be nice in any kitchen.
I'm working on three stichings at the moment and I'm quite fed up. How can you work on 20 rugs? you are really a wonder woman.

MiniKat said...

I think the spice rack is a cool idea! Can't wait to see it in place.

Tallulah Belle said...

The spice rack looks great.....amazing what can be done with all the saved bits of scrap wood huh :-)

Deb said...

I love the spice rack! You are so talented to come with all these ideas on your own.

DLSarmywife said...

A spice rack...I think that is indeed a fantastic idea. And yours looks fabulous. Can't wait to see it finished.

Poppypatchwork said...

Hi just found your blog, wonderful. I have downloaded the rug pattern, I have an addiction to stitching rugs for my house and bed covers. Will let you see how it goes

Poppypatchwork said...

Hi just found your blog and its wonderful. I have an addiction to stitching rugs and beadcovers to look lick patchwork.
I have printed your pattern and will chose colours over a nice cup of coffee later

Katie said...

I love the spice rack....I need something like that for Cora's bathroom....something to put all the perfume bottles on...never thought of using the Victoian trim.....Great idea Casey!!

...lol...can't believe your starting another rug, um, actually, Yes I can, Hahahah!!! Maybe one day you'll finish some that you have in your stash?? :)

Caseymini said...

Katie, I may have to go around the house and gather up all of the finished rugs and take a photo so that you can see that I DO finish them. It's just never in the order that I started them. LOL

Minka said...

Wow! I really like the spice shelf! I've done so many different forms of needlework but never cross-stitch. Now I can see why I might want to give it a try. I have to locate a store that sells base fabric (whatever you call it).