Don't forget to poke the photos to enlarge!

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Wednesday Once Again.....


And we all know what that means. I don't get a lot of mini-ing done. In fact, I didn't do any. So I will show and tell an oldie but a goodie.
This is a "corner box" that we used to sell the Plexiglas for at the shop where I worked back in the eighties. One of these were the very first class I took from someone that knew what they were doing in miniature. It wasn't this one. I don't have the first one anymore.
These boxes were hand made from scratch to fit around the Plexiglas. We sold the bent Plexiglas in two sizes. This one is about 10" square on a side. The bottom base was made from ceiling tile cut a bit smaller than the base of the box. The box was made a little larger so that the Plexiglas would fit down in a groove on the sides and floor. We cut two sides and the floor from foam core. Then we edged the foam core with wood to hold the Plexiglas in place. The Plexiglas slides in and out of the front from the top.
When we were sure that all of that fit together, we cut a piece of foam core that was larger so that, with a lip added, it would fit down over the top like a gift box lid.
As for the inside, I added a beveled piece of foam core in the corner. I wallpapered the whole thing and put a photo of a garden outside and a Houseworks french door in that wall.
The floor is a commercial paper tile. The hutch is a take of on the one that I learned at AZ state day one year. I have used the recipe for that a lot. I change the legs, number of shelves and doors or no doors. It works well. Whoever designed it knew what they were doing.
The blue strips that run along the baseboard and up over the door are 1/8" ribbon.
Here's a view looking straight in from the corner. These are a great fast project.
If you can find someone that knows how to bend Plexiglas or can do it yourself, you too can have some of these boxes.
I still have a couple of small seven inch wide ones and another ten inch one. I may just have to do this again soon. They can be any kind of room that you desire and in no time at all.
I am still trying to decide what to do next.......I think that tomorrow I am going to reorganize the labels on the blog. I went looking for Spike's Crypt and even I couldn't find it! Time to change the labels.
See you tomorrow.

No comments: