Don't forget to poke the photos to enlarge!

Tuesday, October 7, 2008

In Pieces No More!

I found something else to keep me away from the roof! YAY!!!

Remember the Chippendale corner chair kit that I showed you earlier? When we last saw it, it was still raw wood being carved with ball and claw feet. I ran across it when I was looking for the circles that go around the windows under the eaves.(I still didn't find those.)


I got my handy dandy Exacto knife, emery board and needle files out and returned to work on it. I had to finish one leg and one back slat piece. Then I stained all of the pieces. If you want the stain to cover well, you have to stain the wood before sticking the pieces together. The glue is a stain inhibitor. I let the pieces dry and then went to put it together.....I discovered that I had no directions for putting it together.........I don't think that there were ever directions. I got it at a mini garage sale. Anyway, it was kind of like putting together a jigsaw puzzle. Look at the photo on the box. Look at the pieces. Scratch my head. Look at the pieces. Rearrange the pieces. Look at the photo on the box again. At least there were no pieces missing.
It turned out looking pretty much like the photo on the box, but more detailed. I carved the slats and legs where the original was just plain.
I tried to get a close up of the carving. I didn't do to well. This is the best I could do. The carving will show up better when there are a few coats of varnish on it.
I still need to put the final finish on it. That will have to wait until tomorrow. I want the stain to be really dry before I do it.
I have the slip seat covered with some bargello that I did. It will be on the chair tomorrow. I don't think that it turned out too bad for a kit.
I am going back and watch the stain dry now.
See you tomorrow. Shingles? What shingles?

1 comment:

Katie said...

I love the chair!!! It turned out really good!!