Don't forget to poke the photos to enlarge!

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Minis That Aren't........

I am cruising around the house looking for something to put on the blog today. Wednesday is always difficult because of the witches. Today the meeting was at my house, so the getting ready took most of the morning. The meeting took about 3 hours and the cleaning up is yet to be done.

I didn't get anything done in mini. I hit upon the minis that I have that aren't really minis. For years I have been picking up things that are full sized objects that are disguised as minis. One example is all of the terrariums and birdcages that I use.
If you have been doing minis long un-mini minis accumulate. When I first started doing minis, cast metal pencil sharpeners were all the rage. They came in a lot of different forms. Some were stoves, some were spinning wheels(top floor of the Witches' Warehouse). Then there was the gramophone with the morning glory speaker. They all came in an antiqued copper or brass finish. I discovered, and probably so did a lot of other people, that they could be painted with Ceramcoat. This one was all copper when it started out. I went wild painting roses on the inside of the speaker like a real one that I had seen in an antique shop. I think it is finally going to find a home, after 30 years, in the attic of the bookshop. That's the mini-ing that I did today. I put it in the attic.

After that, Goolob put out a line of wind-up toys that were in the form of "real" items. I got a table saw and a microwave oven.
The blade turns in this one when you wind it up. The turntable in the microwave goes around. Unfortunately, the microwave is a bilious green. When I use it, I am going to have to see how the Ceramcoat works on it.
Next came a line of refrigerator magnets. They are plastic. It was only a few years ago that I found them, but they seem to have already disappeared from the scene. They are more like half scale. There were Old time stoves, new stoves, other appliances and my favorite is the sewing machine. The only problem with some of them was that the magnet was in a little box molded to the back and sometimes they can be hard to remove. I had a washer and dryer too. Those are lost in the workroom somewhere at the present time. Please don't tell me that I need to clean again!
One of my all time favorites is this dog from Japan. He is ceramic and was not meant to be a miniature. He is the perfect size and moves from scene to scene. There is some kind of a process that they use to make hair that is kind of like making pasta. It is squeezed out through a tube and then attached to the figurine. I know that he doesn't look altogether real, but I like him so he lives in any building that suits his fancy.
What is the point of all of this? I think that I may have said it before, but I'll say it again. Keep an eye out. You never know where you are going to find the perfect mini that isn't really a mini to other people. It's just a cute pencil sharpener or refrigerator magnet.
Tomorrow I will get back to work.
See you then.

1 comment:

Minka said...

The sewing machine IS fabulous!