Don't forget to poke the photos to enlarge!
Tuesday, February 17, 2015
If At First You Don't Succeed,,,Change Directions...
Just a little more drying and I will be ready to drill a hole down the center.
The thing is incredibly top heavy. It is going to have to be glued to the floor.
A dowel is going to have to go through the base and into the body of the bottom of the telescope barrel itself.
Thus the wait to drill a hole in the base.
I used some of the aluminum insulating tape and a couple of pieces of copper telephone wire. Almost as bad...
I started by cutting the tape in half, lengthwise. Then I started rolling it with one piece of wire in the first wrap. Next I added a second piece of wire to force the whole thing to turn into an oval shape.
I kept wrapping until it would fit tightly into the two ovals that I had to connect.
Then I used e-6000 to glue the ends into the sections. They are very tightly fitted and the glue was added for safety's sake.
I am again waiting for glue to dry. After it does, I will do some fancy work to cover the join. More Steampunking.
Now I need to decide what kind of finish to put on the bottom, before I attach the telescope. I am thinking that either red mahogany or black marble would look good.
Oh good. He got distracted and is now watching birds, out the window.
Now I can get serious about finishing the observatory.
See you tomorrow.