Friday, June 6, 2014
And Then the Six Year Old Wandered in Behind Tessie....
Please stop reading now, if you don't want to get involved in dressing up drawers....
First we had to have a pattern. I took a sheet of heavy scrapbooking paper and laid it against the drawer fronts. I creased the paper with my fingernails and then cut them out a bit outside those creases, to make allowance for adjustment.
Most of the drawers are the same around the handle area, but of different depths. All I needed was the lines of the handles that stick out on top and a fold under at the edge.
That's the top pattern. The bottom had to follow the fold lines and overlap the top. It also needed an area to cover the back wall of the handle.
After a lot of trial and error, I had a pattern to work with.
I did the top drawer with scrapbooking paper that was cardstock weight and used spray glue....It was just a bit heavy and stiff. It did turn out well, but it wasn't quite wide enough, so I had to put strips along each side to cover the whole drawer front. My motto is "Whatever works!"
Anyway, I remembered that I used to use the old starch trick to trim cabinets. It works like a charm to stick fabric on wood. It can later be removed by just peeling back a corner and pulling. Not so much on plastic. I think that after it dries, it is going to let loose.
I do like the look of the fabric though. I may have to try some of the repositionable E-6000 and see what happens.
I probably could sand all the drawers, but I don't want to do that.
I just went and stuck some of the repositionable glue under one corner of the fabric to see what happens... This is going to be an ongoing experiment. I don't want to use white glue. Too hard to take off if I tire of the look.
Tomorrow I will have an answer on the fabric covered drawer...I hope. See you then.