Friday, May 9, 2014
Measure Fourteen Times. Cut once.
The center window panel is cut out and fitting just fine.
AM mentioned using the Dremel for this. I don't. I use an Exacto knife, then if I want to do any carving I can. It is much more accurate for me this way.
I was going to use the Dremel just to drill holes in the little table. I haven't gotten to that yet.
I started out by getting the right roof angle. Unfortunately I threw away the piece of scrap that had the angles on it, or I could have just traced it to get it right.
This photo shows how I got the curves on both sides of the outer screen right.
As I said, a lot of measuring.
You can see faint lines where I went across the piece from one side to the other, to make sure that the points were even. I also measured in from the outer edge to the point in each case to make sure that the thickness of the scallops were right. This first photo was taken on a slant, so it looks a bit uneven...But it isn't.
To get the diamonds, I lined the end of my ruler up with the edge of the roof line and marked 1/2" intervals from both sides. You can see the little dots where I marked. The lines are parallel with the edge, but the measurements aren't. If I had done the marks parallel with the roof line, it would have been much more complicated. A different measurement all together. This was the easy way.
I did this on watercolor paper, so that I can experiment with the color and such before I do it on the real wood.
I am trying to do laundry, with one hand and do the screens with the other, whilst typing this with my toes...
In other words, I need to get back to work. Lots yet to do.
See you tomorrow.