Friday, May 23, 2014
Early American Moroccan...
I wanted a chest of drawers and shelves for the kitchen. One that would fit between the living room door and the front of the room.
I didn't really want to start something from scratch. I wasn't in the mood for all of that measuring and cutting...
So, I turned to my stash of House of Miniatures kits. I don't know if you remember when I found a stash at the antique store, for two dollars each, several years ago. I bought all that they had.
From chest on chest to small chest and shelving.
I went looking and there are a lot of Moroccan painted chests and shelving units in the real world. Lots of examples to draw from...
I put together the top of the chest as it was supposed to be. Then I cut down the base/leg pieces to fit that.
I did a bit of carving on that part to make it look not so Early American and more Moroccan.
Then I had to decide how to go about making the shelves from the bottom half.
I used the back and the sides of the bottom unit, the top and one of the drawer dividers. I sketched out a plan for the sides. Cut them on the scroll saw. Then I cut down and beveled the shelf to fit.
I cut a fancy bottom for the back, drilled three holes with the Dremel Mity Mite. I cut down three fancy toothpicks for pegs. I did a little carving on the sides. Glued it together and still had a few pieces left over...Maybe some small shelves somewhere.
Again, I can't tell you the exact color of the paint. I mixed until I got something that I liked.
I will be doing some fancy painting on both pieces so there is still a lot of work ahead.
I will probably antique the whole thing and rough it up a bit before I am done also. This is just a base coat.
Anyway, that's the story so far... And I'm sticking with it.
We haven't heard from Daisy yet today. I do hope that she doesn't change her mind and want Early American now... Oh well. If she does, there's a lot more of that where this came from...
See you tomorrow.