Don't forget to poke the photos to enlarge!

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

A Day Away....

My mini friend, Joan and got out of the asylum for a while this morning. 

She is not Tessie's size.  She does miniatures and is one of the Wednesday Witches.

We went over the Mini Time Machine Museum to see the Madalyn Cook exhibit.  I had seen it before, at Madalyn's home, when she lived in Tucson, but Joan hadn't.  I loved seeing it again and Joan loved seeing it for the first time. 

It is spectacular.  I didn't have my camera with me, so I will throw in a Eugene Kupjack Dining Room box that I restored in 1986.
This is the card next to it...I did more than replace missing curtains and add fruit.  It had to be cleaned.  When it came in, it had dark fingerprints on the ceiling and the whole thing had to be repainted as well.

I feel honored to have done the work on this room.  For those of you that don't know, he is the creator of most all of the Thorne rooms.  Narcissa Thorne collected miniatures, and at her direction he did most of the work on her rooms.   
Joan and I get along well... We aid and abet each other in collecting things...We both do minis.  We both do bead work... If one of us wants to go to a bead shop, the other will follow... At least that was how it was today.  Then when someone asks, we have each other to blame.  I didn't want to go to a bead shop.  Joan made me do it!
Anyway, when I got home, I had to experiment with some super duo beads that I bought.  Those are the turquoise ones in the ring that Tessie is trying to rip off of my hand.  She seems to think that it should be hers... Isn't everything I make eventually hers?

She's not getting this one.  I made it.  It's MINE!

I started it with a video on U Tube from Beadfulnights.  I got as far as the part where I had to start the band...Then I went off in another direction.

The person doing it, was having trouble with making the ring any size other than a size 8.  I needed a nine.  So I improvised with the Super Duos.  It worked.

I am going to have to do some more experimenting with these two hole beads.  They are fun to play with. 

I really need to get back to the rug now. I did a little more, but not enough...I only have 30,000+ stitches to go...  Wish me luck! I'm going to need it, especially if I keep playing hooky.

See you tomorrow.


9 comments:

elizabeth s said...

Hi Casey! What an honor to have your name and stamp on a Kupjack room!!! I think that that man made some really amazing miniatures back then. It use to make my jaw drop to see any of the Kupjack work in print, and it dropped even further when I viewed the Thorne rooms in Phoenix, Arizona.
But how in the world could a curtain go missing?

elizabeth

Caseymini said...

That was a bit strange. You are right. It was only one curtain.

Lucille said...

I love your ring! It's gorgeous and unique! Sounds like Joan is a very nice friend to hang around with!

12Create said...

Sounds like you and Joan are the perfect shopping companions. I love the ring you made.

mcddiss said...

es muy bueno tener a aguien con quien compartir una aficion y a quien hecharle la culpa, jaja , ese anillo queda muy bien ,me gusta mucho el color turquesa

besitos

Mari

Giac said...

Hello Casey,
What a fun trip that must have been. It really speaks volumes about your talent that you were asked to clean and work on a Thorne Room. That ring is just beautiful! I love the color of the beads.
Big hug,
Giac

Marisa said...

Oh I love that room Casey, your ring is very pretty dont let Tessie steal it :)

Hugs
Marisa

Caseymini said...

Giac, that was not a Thorne room. Eugene Kupjack had his own miniature business. This was one of the rooms that he did on his own. The business is still in existence. It is now run by his sons.

Unknown said...

Hello from Spain: great ring. Nice color. Keep in touch