Don't forget to poke the photos to enlarge!

Monday, March 3, 2014

If at First You Don't Succeed....PRACTICE!!!

First of all, let me just say...Ebru's grandmother was a very talented maker of lace.  Ebru is a Turkish follower that offered to help translate if I had any problems learning this. Thanks, Ebru.

Oya lace looks easy...The people showing how it done, do it effortlessly.

It's not the translation that I need help with...
First I tried it with sewing thread...Too small. That's what I will probably use if I get to where I can do it.  I had high hopes for mini lace.

See?  I tried three times with that...

Then I shifted to #5 pearl cotton.  Too big.  I am beginning to feel like one of the three bears.

For practice, I am going to have to use something between the two. Something "just right".  I am not giving up.  Just taking a break...

At least, I am still well versed in knotless netting...I did a mini gourd yesterday, to help my friend Jo get started. 

Now THIS is simple.  The whole thing is a series of loops. 

I did this with three ply waxed linen.  I'm not sure what I am going to do with it, but at least it shows me that I can actually still do something.

This stitch is the oldest way of making fabric in the world.  Historians say that this came before the weaving of cloth.  Actually, you can make anything with this stitch.  People still use it for clothing in some parts of the world. 

Their clothing doesn't have holes in it like my gourd cover.  There are actually people on ETSY selling bags and other items made with this stitch.

I didn't realize it at the time, but my grandma Daisy taught me to make, what she called "buttonhole" rag rugs.  It was actually this stitch done over a core of another rag strip going around in a spiral. 

I have made spirit bags with it, rugs, and yes buttonholes.  I am now getting the fever to try my hand at something to wear. 

If you would like to see how it's done or learn to do it, go here for basic instructions. http://youtu.be/9fMxa9T-yQo

I am going back to trying to do oya lace now.  Wish me luck.

See you tomorrow.

1 comment:

Natalia's Fine Needlework said...

Thank you, Casey, for the link. By all means, I will check it out and try too. It sounds very interesting. Mini hugs, Natalia