Don't forget to poke the photos to enlarge!

Friday, January 24, 2014

Making It Deeper...

You saw the ridiculous amount of work I was going to have to do for 1/2" more space in the kitchen. 

I decided to see if it was possible to make the kitchen bump out deeper with wood from the kit scraps.  In other words, could Greenleaf have made the extension this much deeper, without the expense of extra wood?

Answer...Yes.  It is easily done.  There is a lot of wasted wood inside the porch posts. I will be able to get three pieces to pitch the roof of the bump out too.  There is a lot of extra wood in this kit.  I never throw the extras out.  The can be used for all kinds of things.
 This is how I did it.  I had to extend the two side pieces, the roof, and the floor.

from the inside, you can see that I simply made the floor piece by copying the tabs on another piece of wood and cutting them out to go around the existing tabs in the floor.  That is where the old wall would have been.  I reinforced this joint with a piece of card stock underneath, so that it would stay in place until everything was glued together and dried.  Nobody will ever see that unless they rip the whole house apart.

Then I cut a  new piece for the roof,  making it fit over the outside, just as the old one did.  I copied the shape of the front and back from the original piece and copied the tabs. 
I used the original side piece as a pattern to get the tabs in the right places and widened them to match the measurements of the other pieces. See the photo to the left to see the difference in the size.

I used the original front piece with the windows.

Miracle of miracles!  After the pieces were all cut, they fit together nicely.

If you haven't done this before, do a mock up with foam core to make sure that they are going to fit.
I first taped everything together to see if they fit.  When they did I  glued and taped everything securely.  Then I let it dry until this morning.

The Terrible Two +Spike are testing it to see if it is going to hold together...It seems to.

Speaking of Zar, Tessie and Spike, they are now all arguing as to whom is going to get to sit in the new chair first...I may just hide it until Daisy Eulalia arrives.  That'll show them.

I am not going to put the roof on or the second floor in place until I get some decorating done on the first floor.  It will be much easier to deal with that way. 

I have to go and break up a very loud argument now.  People yelling and dogs yowling  are not conducive to a nice working atmosphere.

See you tomorrow.

4 comments:

12Create said...

Loving the new chair - nice colour.

Lucille said...

The enlarged space of the bay window is so much better! It will be fun to decorate it. That chair will be very nice when it's finished. I like the style of it!

Elizabeth S said...

Hi Casey! I agree that Greenleaf can be mighty stingy on floor space in their kits and although it is exasperating it is also exhilarating when you are able think of a simple solution to get the extra room you require out of the house at no extra cost. And as we well know, Every Inch Counts! :D

elizabeth

Giac said...

Hello Casey,
Great idea to win a bit more space. You did a great job...the extension looks solid and look just right with the structure. Very well done.
Big hug,
Giac