Don't forget to poke the photos to enlarge!

Saturday, December 7, 2013

He's Baaack....

I finally found out where Spike has been hiding for several weeks... He was in the workroom of Tessie's townhouse.

Since she doesn't spend a lot of time there, he was well hidden, without even trying.

That is the room that has the distillery for making potions.  I suspect that he was up to no good. 

It makes no difference.  Tessie welcomed him back with open arms.  He takes the blame for all kinds of things that she does.  She was not happy without him.
This morning he volunteered to help me with a bunka blog.

I am sure that there are still a few of you that don't know the benefits of bunka use.

I was first introduced to it in the early 80s and it is one of my closest friends.

It can be used for all kinds of mini stuff.  As is or unraveled.

Here, Spike is demonstrating how to make it unravel.  You just pick at it until you can get the end of the thread and pull...and pull...and pull some more.

The little pile that you see next to him is what I will be using for accent flowers on the curtains.  I took a length of it, uncoiled (about 8") and  laid it in the palm of my hand.  Then I took a pair of large scissors and just laid them flat to my palm and started chopping.  The pile is the results.

Here you see a couple of other uses for it.  The hat that spike is modeling has bunka around the edge of the crown and coiled into a design on the brim.  I simply used a glue syringe and laid a narrow line of glue where I wanted the bunka to go.  Then I laid down a trail of the bunka over it, using a straight pin to guide it.  The other hat has bunka leaves and flowers around the rose.

I also make a lot of rugs with it.  They turn out looking like hooked rugs.  If you want to see some of that, you can go here. http://caseymini.blogspot.com/search?q=Bunka+rug  There are a couple of small Christmas rug designs towards the end of the entries.  Just in time.


Here is a very close up of the roses on the curtains.  I just glued a few pieces between the roses and the leaves. 

I can trim them some, when the glue dries.

I usually buy my bunka at mini shows.  You can find it on line just by putting "bunka" in your search engine.  Good luck.  I hear that YLI has a good selection.
Spike had to get in one last photo before I finished.   Typical.  I laid down the curtain to take the photo and he sat down in the middle of the balloon shade. 

He proceeded to make a nest and fall asleep.  I didn't want to disturb him, so you don't get to see that part.  And besides, not long after that, Tessie pounced on him and dragged him away by the collar.  She was not happy with him sitting on her curtains...

I think that she suspects that, since Spike seems to like the music tower better than she does, I might give it to him.  I am thinking about it.

I have to go install walls and other goodies now.

See you tomorrow.

7 comments:

Phyllisa said...

Hi Casey. I love your Music Room.
I'm glad Spike reappeared.
Phyllisa

12Create said...

I recall when I was doing miniatures back in the 1990s I used bunka. I must try to get hold of some.

Sam said...

Hi Spike, good to see you again!

Véronique said...

Glad to see Spike again. I read your entries on bunka a few weeks ago. Must get some of that! Love the little touches around the roses!
Véronique

Caseymini said...

Veronique, some of the trims in fabric stores have types of bunka as part of their fringe. I examine trims carefully to see if they will unravel. Also, I have found it in the summertime as long fringes in wind socks. You just have to have minis on your mind as you shop.

Miranda Ixie said...

Spike is so cute! And thanks for the info on Bunka. I've heard of it, but never really understood what it was good for until now! Thank you!

claude said...

thank you for this idea