Friday, September 6, 2013
I started with just a curved, straight up chimney, but that was just too much.
It took up too much of the space, visually.
Since I already had that piece cut, I decided to cut some pieces out of it in places to see if I could make it curved.
I probably could have if the material wasn't a quarter inch thick.
I spent an hour experimenting with this. Cut a slash out. Try it in the space. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. Just not what I had in mind.
Closer, but no cigar.
Then I decided , if all else fails, do it the old fashioned way.
I sent Zar to the kitchen for a funnel. He found one about the right size.
I rolled that around on a piece of watercolor paper for a pattern and traced the edge and the neck.
From there, I cut it out and tried it....It worked.
Then I simply cut and rolled a tube for the chimney.
It takes up a lot less space and I am thinking that just a wall on that side to match the existing wall on the other end will be sufficient to complete the area.
I will probably try to make the shape a bit more graceful and curved, but I do have the basic shape now. Not bad for a funnel. I am going to make it so that the back of the fireplace itself can be removed, if need be. And I could still put a larger straight piece at the bottom to make the shape more like the original...We shall see.
This could take a while. I am going back to work now. Thanks to Zar and the funnel, the fireplace is coming together.
See you tomorrow.