Don't forget to poke the photos to enlarge!

Thursday, May 30, 2013

Alexander Cooke...

I was hoping that someone would suggest Shakespeare's time and plays...2minimom did just that...


I called in my authority on Elizabethan England this morning.  Lettice informed me that there was one person that really deserved the dressing room

She got to thinking about the "boy players".  They were the young men that played the parts of women in the late fifteen hundreds and early sixteen hundreds.  Women weren't considered equal or intelligent enough to do the task.

I started digging around about the person that she suggested.  It was a guy named Alexander Cooke that is said to have originated a lot of Shakespeare's female characters.  He is the lucky man/lady that I am going to do the dressing room for. 

I don't imagine that he probably had much of a dressing room, but he will have one now.

We are going to give him the dressing room that he deserved and never had.

Lettice informed me that the patterns and furniture in this book would help my quest.

She seems to think that there will be windows...Don't hold your breath, Lettice!
I got as far as the bottom half of some timbering before we had to leave to go over to April's.

When I got back there seemed to be a bit of a tussle going on between Lettice and Tessie...

I may have to lock one, or both, of them out whilst I work on this box.

They just don't seem to agree on anything.  Tessie wants a "real woman's" dressing room...She may be the one to get kicked out.

I can't see myself trying to explain "boy players" to her.....She claims to be 400+ years old.....I guess that's just not quite old enough to remember them.

I am thinking that Lettice will be of more help in this case.  At least she  is willing to have a discussion about what will be in the box and she can tell me what is right and proper.

I am going back to finish the woodwork and dirty up the corners and such.  Oh!  And I will be tossing Tessie....If she comes back, I may threaten to put her back in her glass cage for the time being...

See you tomorrow.

9 comments:

Cara said...

Excellent choice! The timbering looks great.

Lucille said...

Good choice! Looking forward to what is to come!

Neen said...

Great idea! My absolute favorite book when I was a child was Mistress Malapert by Sally Watson. It is about a girl, Val, that joins Shakespeare's acting troop, and pretends to be a boy that acts as a girl. You could leave the viewers of your dressing room guessing....

Cheers, Neen

Caseymini said...

Neen I ran onto a trilogy while I was looking for info on Alex Cooke today that I want to read. Alex Cooke is one of the characters in it. It is based on him. And in one of the three, Alexander is called Sander and is a woman. I need to find these books again and see if I can find them for sale anywhere. Interesting.

Phyllisa said...

Hi Casey. You seem to have a great interest in the Elizabethan age.
There is much there to study.

BTW, I have searched out and found
enough "ancient" artifacts to start
a collection for my budding
archeologist.
Phyllisa

chapchap73 said...

I'm so glad you chose this time period! Didn't get to put in my suggestion yesterday, but you picked it anyway:)such a fun project.Good luck with a new Terrible Two:D

Giac said...

Hello Casey,
what a fun idea. I cannot wait to see mroe.
Big hug,
Giac

Marilyn D. said...

Casey - The walls are looking great but I have to admit - what I would really kill for would be a copy of that book. I'm going to check to see if it is available anywhere. It looks like it would have incredibly inspiring pictures in it - and if you get measurements too - !!!! - Marilyn from Canada

Caseymini said...

Marilyn, that is an old Dover book. The nice thing about those is Dover tends to keep publishing them over and over. If you can't get it from them, maybe the Alibris website would have it.