Don't forget to poke the photos to enlarge!

Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Day One of the Stain....

OK...I just put a coat of stain on a piece of scrap bass wood.

Doesn't look like much, does it?  Just wait....Wait....

Twenty minutes later, when the stain is dried, here it is again...
Surprise!  Instant ageing!  It turns the wood old and gray looking...

Incidentally, if you do this, be very careful.  See the spot in the upper right?

That was just one drop of the stuff that dripped there.  It not only stains, it spreads.

I started with my brush to the right and level with the edge on the left...The brush was pretty damp when I started. Thus, more leaching into the wood where I started.  By the time I got to the left side, the brush was dryer.  Not so much spreading.

I think that I am going to leave the steel wool in place at least until tomorrow to see how dark it gets.  Since I had a couple more bottles that were half full I started another one.

It can be thinned down some with more vinegar, but you are doing it by guess and by gosh!  You never know what is going to happen, so it is better to stop it where you like it best.

Each wood comes out differently.  With the light wood, you get completely gray....If you start out with something like walnut, you get browner tones.  It is all a matter of experimenting to see what happens.

This one is short.  I have to get ready to go see "Bond....James Bond"  a little later.

Tune in tomorrow.  Day two may be way darker....Just wait.  I locked Tessie in the workroom for asking the stain question one too many times....

See you tomorrow with more results.

2 comments:

Troy said...

very cool, I will have to try that technique!

Giac said...

Hello Casey,
That is awsome...Will Tessie never learn?
Hugs,
Giac