Saturday, August 4, 2012
Back to Weaving...
After a while I gave up on looking for them and found an extra tweezers in my workroom. Yesterday, I could not stand to look at the poor naked thing anymore.... It is now dressed to kill.
I beaded the top in peyote stitch and topped it off with a couple of chips of jade. They are much more fun to work with when they are dressed up a bit.
Now, if I could only get them away from Tessie. It seems that the best way to do it is to distract her...
I made her a new machine to play with.
I had one in real life at one point. I asked my dad to make me one and gave him plans....It never worked right. He drilled the holes for the pegs by hand and they all pointed in different angles, just slightly, but that threw off the warp and let it slide from one side to the other....It just didn't work.
If you are looking at this photo and saying to yourself that I did the same thing, not really. It's not glued together yet.
I sanded the edges and rounded the corners. Then I glued the pieces together.
Here's the finished loom. I am trying to decide now, if I am crazy enough to try to warp it or not.
I have to wait until the glue dries anyway....
If I don't really want to do it, I can fake it with ribbon. That is what this loom is for. It is strictly a band weaving loom. In real life, you make belts and straps of different width and as long as the warp threads.
This one is a small one....Some are very complicated with many pegs and the warp is run back and forth between them to keep all of the threads straight.
Anyway, if you want to make one. The dimensions are on the paper above. Each square is a quarter inch.
I used toothpicks for the pegs and cut them 1/2" long. I drilled the holes with a pin vice and tapered the ends for the holes with an Exacto knife.
I have to think on whether I want to actually weave anything on it....I have about 24 hours. That's a lot of thinking. Maybe I can talk Tessie into doing it...
See you tomorrow.