Don't forget to poke the photos to enlarge!

Sunday, June 3, 2012

Confined to the Bedroom....

Why do I do these things?  I talked myself into rearranging the furniture in the bedroom....Our real one.  It takes two people and a small horse to move the bed alone.  While I was doing that, I did laundry...Multi-tasking can be fun?

I finally finished everything about 1:00PM.  Then Tessie reminded me that we still had a blog to write.  Thanks a lot, Tessie.

I told her to get to work.  If she wanted me to write, she was going to have to do the task at hand.  I was too tired to wield the needle

Surprisingly, she went to work.  I did the guidelines on the back of the mattress.  I used a piece of cardboard that separates the layers of cat food cans in the Fancy Feast cat food.  Yes.  I save those.  They are unprinted, come a couple to a box and are a little heavier than the cardboard that is for outside boxes.

The piece was 3" by 6" with just a hair shaved off of two edges to allow for the fabric wrap.

I pierced each hole in the cardboard with a sharp needle.

Then Tessie threaded a little smaller needle with two strands of embroidery floss and went to work. She stabbed straight down through the layers of cardboard, batting and muslin.

It was something to watch.  she had to flip the mattress over and poke through the muslin, batting and try to hit the same hole.  If she couldn't find it by feel, she had to flip up the muslin and batting to see where the hole in the cardboard was.

You will notice that she started in the center and worked out. She pulled tightly on the back side to make it padded. 

If you do it, you may want to use a glue stick to make the batting stay in place on the card or cut it a little bigger than the card, trimming after stitching.

Then all you do is trim it a bit and pull the extra material around to the back of the cardboard, miter the corners and glue it down.

She claimed to be as exhausted as I was after she finished. 

She borrowed Cordelia's cat and tried it out.  He only comment was...."It's not as soft as marshmallows and furthermore, as a snack, it lacks a certain something..." 

Did I mention that I made a huge mistake?  I let Tessie in the room when I started dragging the house kits from under the bed. Thank goodness, she only saw the Magnolia....When she saw that one, I thought that it might be a good idea to leave the Harrison and the Sweetheart cottage under the bed until she left...

As it was, she was in a snit because I had been "hiding" that one.  I wasn't hiding it.  She just forgot about it. 

It will take a few days to get her mind off of it.  By the time I finish the present two cottages, she will have forgotten it altogether.

It's funny.  I think that I am bad with the attention span of a six year old....Then I see her and I feel better.  Hers is about the length of that of a goldfish....I heard that there's is around two seconds....Yup.  I feel much better now.

Now where was I?  Oh!  I remember.  See you tomorrow.

5 comments:

Karin Corbin said...

Can I borrow your witch to stitch up a mattress for my cottage?

Caseymini said...

Karin, I just asked Tessie what she thought and she says that bird's nests are a bit outside her range....or are you referring to another one besides the wonderful Tudor birdhouse that you are doing? Love that one, by the way!

Lucille said...

Tessie did a great job on that mattress! She can be such a good girl when she wants to!

Troy said...

What kind of style are you going to choose for the Magnolia kit?

Caseymini said...

Troy, My first thought was Mission Style. I make no promises though.