Don't forget to poke the photos to enlarge!

Saturday, April 14, 2012

Painting Trial and Error....

OK....I tried the sample from Walmart on the walls. It works, but surprisingly, it doesn't cover as well as Ceramcoat. Although, I guess I am not really surprised. Ceramcoat is the best.

I do like the color. The wing on the left is more the true color. It is called Natural Linen. I am going to go over it one more time to make sure that it is all the same. That will be the third coat.

Anyway, while the paint is drying, I am doing a mock up of the timbers.

I took the pattern that you saw yesterday and cut out the parts that weren't timbers.

Next I lay it on a piece of illustration board and traced around it.

You may be asking why I didn't use wood. Simple. I wanted to see how it looked and if it was wrong, I didn't want to waste the wood.

I cut the illustration board apart at the vertical beams. That made it easy to cut out the other sections.

I wound up with seven seperate pieces. I numbered them all on the top back, so that I would know which piece went where and which end was up.

I painted them in the color that I wanted to try. Then, with a glue stick, I put them in place. I didn't want them to be permanent.

I think that I am getting the hang of the uneven timbers. Now all I have to do is make them out of wood.

I am not sure that the color is not too light. I may still go with the darker color of the timbers on the walls and a dusty blue for the timbers. This way I can experiment without painting the whole house.

In fact, the only thing that I will have to paint again is the timbers. I can put the paint swatches behind them to see how they look.

By tomorrow, that decision will have been made and hopefully, I will be well on my way to finishing the timbering.

See you then.

1 comment:

Lucille said...

Great job, Casey! Thanks for the tutorial!