Don't forget to poke the photos to enlarge!

Friday, February 10, 2012

I Think I Can. I Think I Can. I Think I Can....

OK....First, before we get started on other stuff..... I got a better bargain than I thought yesterday. Remember the stove? I thought it was a 60% discount on a 48 dollar stove....I was wrong. Troy commented that he had been looking at those stoves. Just out of curiosity, I decided to check on the price at HBS....It has been a while since I looked. I was thinking that it was 54.00 the last time I looked. The stove is now priced at a whopping 94.99 plus shipping! So....I guess I got over 80% discount. I am definitely doing a happy dance over that one!

Now about the I think I can thing...Tessie needed a rug for the living room, to go in front of the sofa. I dug through my pile of "starts" and only found one the I thought might work. It didn't.

The style isn't bad, but the colors were way too pale. Back to the drawing board, so to speak.

I started looking at rug "images" on Google. Still nothing....Then the mad six year old artist went to work. Tessie helped.

Between us, we came up with a tangled rug. Why not!?! The permanent ink on the coffee mugs didn't stay on...I need to tangle something else now.

I went and got some #26 congress cloth(mini canvas). In true tangle spirit, I whacked off a piece about the size that I want the rug to be.
I then grabbed a black Pigma permanent .005
pen and went to work. It may not work on mugs, but it is great on canvas. As fine as it is, after you stitch over it, nobody ever sees it.

I didn't count the number of stitches width and length wise. I just drew some lines. I am going to do it as a border rug. The eye will need somewhere to land and I am not going to do the center if I am going to cover it with a coffee table.

I pulled out the last scrap of the sofa/chair fabric and Tessie started pulling colors from my three floss bins. The floss bins will have to be straightened once again.

Anyway, here you see the colors that we are going to use. There may be a few slight changes, but this is the basic pallet.

I will start on one end, with Tessie tugging on the other and repeatedly asking,"Is it done yet? Is it done yet?".

Before she tires of asking, I will probably tire of hearing it. I will shove a cookie in her hand and lock her out of the bedroom... That will hold her for a while. Every time she asks, I will shove another cookie under the door and hopefully she will go away for a while. I need to get started now.

I am going to try to beat her to the punch. "Here Tessie. Have a cookie!"

See you tomorrow.

6 comments:

Heather said...

LOL, Tessie is so impatient, but I can't blame her... and heck, if the reward is a cookie, perhaps I had better change my tactics on waiting for things!

Phyllisa said...

Yes, that's what I'm talking about!
Zentangles for needlepoint. A real use for zentangles.I think I'm really going to like that rug you are making. Now where are my needlepoint supplies? Can't wait to start.
Phyllisa

Kathi said...

I KNOW you can! Your rug will be amazing! Great idea to draw your design on the canvas. Not too much counting, right?
I may even try that someday...

rosanna said...

Tessie isn't the only impatient one.
I'll look forward to the rug.
Minihugs Rosanna

Mary said...

What a great idea, your zentangles are wonderful, I know that they will be fantastic in color on a rug. Another project idea to add to my long list of things to try.

Where do you get your congress cloth? I have not been able to find it in 26 count.

Caseymini said...

Mary, I bought a yard of what was supposed to be #24 at a local shop. When I got it home, I thought it looked different than the #24 that I had been using. When I measured it, I found,after counting several times, that it was #26!

I have never seen #26. I am wondering if their looms were just slightly off.