Don't forget to poke the photos to enlarge!

Sunday, May 1, 2011

The Very Next Day.....

OK. The next step was to get a base coat on for the marble top. I cheated and added just a few veins and smudged them with my finger. I always work in wet paint when putting in the details on marble. There will be other colors and details put in, I just wanted to get the plan set in my mind first.

I couldn't decide between white and black marble...At one point I even thought that green might be pretty. I think that I will stick with white for this one though. The black would make the whole piece too heavy.

I will go into the technique more when I do the rest of the painting on it.

I also put a base coat over most of the sides. I left is thinner so that I could see the design. I am using an eighteen/O liner brush to do the stems and detail work.....That kind of brush is made with three hairs and no breathing.

The design will change as I go along and the two sides may not exactly be the same when I finish. After all, you will never see both sides at once anyway.

I just noticed that I am going to have to go back and repaint the base again....Rats! It is looking rather faded and chalky.

Here's the first go around for the vines and bugs. I haven't put in any shading in yet and there is a lot of detailing still to go.

I did put in a spider, complete with web, two beetles, a butterfly and a Caterpillar so far.

It may turn into one of those "How many bugs can you find?" kind of games....

Tessie is doing her best imitation of a game show hostess. She is cooperating in every way. She wants this piece for her bedroom.....I will have to think about it.

See you tomorrow.

9 comments:

Joy@aVintageGreen said...

Tessie is very lucky - a bug hunt too.

Phyllisa said...

Hi Casey and Tessie. Your chest is
very imaginative. I love it!
I love the MacKinzie-Childs look in small doses. I took a look at the website and I think if someone has any painting
experience at all, they could recreate that look in full size or miniature by working through one section at a time.The painted designs are very simple. The transfer ware would also be simple IF you could find the transfers.I feel compelled to paint something!
Phyllisa

Caseymini said...

Phyllisa, I thought the same thing. I think that, if people don't have any painting talent, it could be accomplished with paper or fabric glued to the piece.

Katie said...

um... where's the dragonflies??? I like the white marble with the zebra!

Plushpussycat said...

Your dresser is coming along beautifully! It is so fun to watch each step of the way! :-)

Caseymini said...

Katie, it's not too late. I will add dragonflys tomorrow. Good idea! I did put in a snail and a snake on one side this afternoon. That's the nice thing about this kind of design. You can add things as you think of them.

Margriet said...

The chest is lovely....I think the white top goes very well with the zebrastripes!
And the side is beautiful with all the little bugs! I would love it in my bedroom too LOL

Kathi said...

Love seeing your artistic side! This is going to be awesome!

Cheryl said...

Tessie was right, the bugs are a nice touch.