Don't forget to poke the photos to enlarge!

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Little Secrets......

OK. This is the last look that you are going to get of Kim's chair. I expect to finish it off and send it to her by Tuesday. She gets to see it first. It wouldn't be fair if I Showed it to you first.

Tessie still thinks it is staying here. Life is good when she is happy....Just wait til Tuesday, when it disappears....

Meanwhile, I decided to throw in one of my secret miniature making weapons for good measure today.

About thirty years ago, I found some wonderful big Hallmark scrapbooks at "Pic'n'Sav"( now Big Lots)No. I didn't misspell it. They left off the "e".

About ten years later, I found three smaller ones. Same place. They were all really cheap at the time. Best $15.00. for all, I ever spent for miniature information....
As soon as I got the larger ones home, I started filling them with information and photos cut from decorating and needlework magazines, that I had formerly kept in files. The idea was to build up a book of things that I personally liked. No shuffling through twenty magazines to find one picture of a bed I liked. No looking for information on how to do a certain needlework technique that I didn't often use.

I got the idea from some scrapbooks that I found in the U of A Library. A woman left her decorating scrapbooks to the library and they actually have them on the shelves. Some of the things in them are pages from decorating magazines from 1920s to 1940s. They were, and still are a goldmine of information.

There is no rhyme or reason to the way that these are put together. It is more fun that way. I have most of the things cataloged in my tiny mind and it doesn't take long to find something that I need. I pull them out about once a year and add to them.

I started the larger ones when I was still teaching and doing a great deal of needlework. so, I started one, initially just for needlework. It has evolved as a mixture of all kinds of things.

That one is full. The other two large ones are about 3/4 full.

I did label the smaller ones when I bought them...One is rugs. One is draperies and beds. The last is houses. The first two are full, the later one is about 1/2 full.

This is a double spread from the rug book. Not only does it have hundreds of beautiful rug ideas, it has things like the gorgeous arched doorway on the left and the room with fireplace on the right.

What is the point of all of this? A lot of people keep files. I tried that and found it not to my liking. It's just the way I am.....I like irregular order...

These scrapbooks tell me how my taste has changed after thirty years. Surprisingly, not a lot. Styles change, but I seem to find something every year that fits into my likes.

When I was in college, one of my fashion history professors made the statement that style and design goes in 30 year cycles. He was right. If I look back at the earliest photos in these albums, a lot of them look like they are current. As the saying goes, "Everything old is new again..."

See you tomorrow.

11 comments:

Merri said...

Great idea on the Scrapbooks, Casey! LOL I see Tessie's parked her witchybutt in Kim's chair..I'm sure she's telling you it's magic and trying to fly away, so she has to hold it down.

I hope you have a nice little reward set aside for yourself after all this work on the contest! You deserve a break today!

rosanna said...

I have the same kind of books. Italy bought, of course but the idea is the same. I cut all the piccies I love from mags and I keep them aside. I don't like files on pc, give me some paper instead. Minihugs Rosanna

El caballero Metabólico said...

Tienes razón en lo de que algunas veces cuesta trabajo encontrar algo en las revistas que si tienen desde hace tiempo. Yo colecciono la revista Miniaturas desde hace años, y cuando intento encontrar algún trabajo que me gustó, me termino volviendo loco buscando y buscando entre tantas revistas... ¡¡Un besote!!

Lucille said...

Such beautiful scrapbooks, Casey. So colourful and cheerful! I adore scrapbooks. My problem is that I hate to cut my magazines. There always seems to be something I like on both sides. I agree with Merri that you need a reward. Too bad we're all so far away, a bunch of us could take you out to lunch. what fun we would all have together! I hope that doing this type of work is not too hard on your fingers. I've been faithfully voting for you and Tessie every day!

Unknown said...

What a great idea. Thank you for all ideas.

Caseymini said...

I didn't mention that I have a very large 3 ring binder that I keep the 1/12 mini info in and a smaller one for smaller scales....No pun intended.LOL

Lucille, if there is something on both sides of a page, I simply run a line of glue down just the left edge. That way I can flip it like a page to see the other side. Works like a charm. I put a bit of a crease in the fold line to remind me that there is something on the other side.

Caseymini said...

I forgot to mention that I use only glue sticks to do this. That way if, for some reason, I want to move something it is easier to do. Also, rubber cement kills some papers after only a couple of years. I speak from experience on that one. White glue is too strong and wrinkles the paper.

Claudia said...

Hi Casey,

Hope you got my email saying I wanted a white wicker chair? I sent it to you while I was in NYC. Love Tessie in the chair!

xo
Claudia

Christine said...

I used to do the same thing for my real house 25 years ago as a newly wed and like you, it is surprising how little my taste has changed. My scrap books are boringly utilitarian though - not pretty. I began again for ideas for dollshouse, but now I can print out pics and useful snippets from the internet as well to save trawling through wondering where that site was (and I have so many sites bookmarked now, it isn't any easier doing that any more) :-)

Daydreamer said...

Casey, I like your scrapbooks! I have some of the old fashioned type with the heavy paper..... and I use the wrong kind of wrinkly glue! LOL! I also am such a slow assembler that I have a million pulled out pages not yet in books.... have a whole bunch for gardening too.... Will I ever get caught up????

Lucille said...

Thanks for the tip, Casey. I would never have thought of doing that. So, perhaps I will do a scrapbook. There's just so much to do. I so often think one lifetime is just not enough to do it in. Sigh! I haven't been doing anything for quite a while except read people's blogs and look at what they do. I can feel my fingers itching to do something. Perhaps today will be the day.