Don't forget to poke the photos to enlarge!

Monday, December 20, 2010

There Are Cats....And There Are Cats.....

This is Mookie, demanding his share of what's under the tree. Why? Because Widget took both his own and Mookie's present.

I bought them a new cat tent this morning at Walmart. It is built on a sturdy frame and the inside is big enough for two cats. The top is a cat hammock. Widget immediately decided that this is where he is going to live from now on. Mookie can't get in. He tried the top hammock part, but is unsure. The stability is to be questioned when it is sitting on the bed.

Anyway, that brings us to other cats. Tessie saw what was going on and said, "Well! If they were miniature cats, you wouldn't be having problems. Everybody knows that miniature cats are more well behaved than the big ones."

I am not sure how she comes up with these theories. Personally, I think that it was just a ploy to get me to make her a cat. I fell for it.

Follow along and you can have a mini cat of your very own....I made one that is asleep, so of course he will be more well behaved than Mookie and Widget! This is the easiest way that I know to make a cat. We cheat and make him sleeping so that you don't even have to do eyes.

All you need is some poly clay in the color that you want the cat, a knife, a toothpick and a little patience.

First you knead the clay for softening. Then you pinch off a piece about the size of a small peanut shell, a ball about 1/4 to 3/8", a ball that you flatten and cut in half about the same size for the hips, a tiny ball to smash and cut in half for the ears, and a long rope for the legs and tail.
Here you can see where the pieces go.

Make the body a little smaller at the front end by rolling.

Make the head kind of teardrop shaped and then moosh the pointy end a bit for the nose.

Cut two 1/4" pieces of the rope for the back paws. Then two 1/2" pieces for the front legs and feet. Cut the ball that you made for the hips in half and push them against either side of the back. Flatten one end of the 1/4" pieces and place them under the hip piece, extending forward.

Make a bend in the front leg pieces about half way up and put them against either side of the front end to make shoulders, legs and paws. Lay one paw over the other.

Place the head on the front end of the body. For the ears, flatten the tiny ball and cut it in half.

Pinch the curved edge to a point. put the opposite side from the point against the top of the cat's head, leaving about an ear's width between them.

You can do the face any time, but If you do it while still handling the cat, you may have to do it more than once. I just poke two slits in for the closed eyes. Then a triangle for the nose and a curve going out from the bottom of that on either side of the face for the mouth.
The tail is simply a piece of the rope flattened at one end and stuck to the back of the cat between the hips.

With this cat, I turned his head towards the side and rested his chin on his paws. Then I coiled his tail around the side of his body.

You will want to go over all of the seams with a toothpick to smooth them out. Then bake him following manufacturer's directions. You can texture his fur with an Exacto. It isn't necessary though.

Good Luck!

See you tomorrow.

7 comments:

Claudia said...

You make it look so easy, my friend. I don't know if I could pull it off! Love your big cats and your mini cat.

xo
Claudia

Kathi said...

It's about time Tessie got a cat. A black one is perfect for her too!

Jean Tuthill said...

Thanks for the tutorial, I will try this once Christmas is over and I have a minute to think. I am making mushroom ornaments for my tree now. And then, I will be concentrating on Christmas. I like the socks you make and who will know if they match. They must be very warm and that's the most important thing! Have a wonderful Christmas and a very happy and healthy New Year.

Margriet said...

poor Mookie!!!
Loeve the miniature cat, but I'm not sure if I can make him so beautiful as yours! But I will try!!!

Marisa said...

Mookie is beautiful! I'm so happy that Tessie finally has a black cat to love :)

Marisa

MerriMagic said...

Bless you, Casey, for helping me to solve my need for multiple kitties for Moggie Manor. I'll use your directions to make all of Tintinnabula's moggies.

Looks like Tessie is right. That sleeping cat isn't going to steal any other kitty's toys. Happy Holidays to you, Tessie and Zar, as well as your RL family!

Margaret said...

Tessie looks really happy now she has a cat of her own. I must give it a try, I would really like some fur though, have to think on that.