OK.....Remember me? The one that spent yesterday looking for window trim and tearing my hair out by the roots? The frames never turned up, so today was improv time.
First of all, you have to understand that these windows will never be seen close up or more than peeked at from the outside of the house. Then you have to understand that I am not one to look for lost items more than one day at a time.
It's not like I have never framed a window myself. I have. So......I grabbed a bunch of scraps and went to work.
I sketched myself a pattern of what I wanted the shape of the curtains to look like and cut it out of poster board.
I used the one and only trim/frame that I had as a pattern. I made sure that it fit the window.
So far, so good. Then I went and got some window and door molding and cut a couple of pieces for the sides of each window.
Keep in mind that I can no longer use the original. It wouldn't match the others that I am making.
I also cut sills from crown molding. Yes, I know that's not the right material for sills, but it looks good and cuts out a couple of steps.
Here you see those pieces temporarily stuck to the window.
In front is the piece of poster board and a semi circle of mat board the thickness of the trim, covered with fabric.
In order to see how the finished window is going to look, I put a bit of trim on and also stuck that piece to the top of the window.....Yup. I just eliminated the need for cutting curved molding for the top.
I can see from this, that the arch has to be cut a little wider.
Then Tessie had to get involved. She hates that the valence is flat. I tried to explain that this was just to see how it was going to look.
After she got over the hysterics and I could get more than three words in a row into the conversation, she was satisfied that this was not the finished product.
"Yes, Tessie. It will be swags when I am finished. I just wanted to see how it was going to look." I said.
She growled, "It had better be swagged! It's all flat and blah...".
I have to go to the Wednesday Witches mini meeting in a bit, so I won't start doing the real swags until later. I did cut the top piece off of the chess king. I added a little height to the column with a flat teak bead.
I like the glossy lacquered looking finish so I went and found the little bottle of black nail polish that I bought last year for Halloween. I never wore it, but I am still happy that I spent the money. It comes in handy when I want something mini to be shiny black.
Now all I have to do is make three swag curtains and a table top. Maybe later.....
Please don't tell Tessie that I have to go play with the other witches now. She will want to go along.
See you tomorrow.