Don't forget to poke the photos to enlarge!

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Off the Furniture, Edgar!

This morning I refurbished a corner box that sits in the living room. The box itself is one that I made back in the 80s. It has been re done several times in its life.

I finally decided that it would stay a garden room for the rest of its natural life.

The bent Plexiglas is the thing that makes these boxes unique. Back when I made it, there was a man here in Tucson that was doing quite well bending two sizes of plexi and selling them to miniaturists all over town. We were selling them in the shop where I worked and I bought several. With this one, I just built the box from foam core and made it so that the plexi slides down on both sides behind a piece of molding. At the bottom there is a channel for the plexi to sit in.

As you can see, it had a bunch of odds and ends shoved in and looked rather sad.

The wallpaper is from a regular wallpaper sample book and has held up well. The blue trim around the doors and baseboard is 1/8" grosgrain ribbon.

The floor was scuffed badly in several areas where things has been stuck down with mini wax. It is, after all, just one of those fancy, glossy, card stock tile floors. I am not sure if they are still made, but they were really fun to work with.

Here is the "before and after" of the front corner of the floor. I used my old friends, the Primsacolor pencils to fix it.

In the after photo, you can barely see the scars. I don't know what I would do without Prismacolors.









I decided to re upholster the wicker chair while I was at it. It was one that really didn't belong in here. The upholstery was all wrong. Yucky gold.
It is now blue random polka dot. As soon as I finished. Tessie and Edgar moved in for the day.

This room is one that usually doesn't have an occupant, so she wasn't disturbing anybody.

I have plans to do the same thing to a lot of my older room boxes, so you may get a guided tour of some of them. I hope that you don't mind.

I heard Tessie tell Edgar, "You are very uncouth and uncivilized. Get down now!"

What does she expect from a baby elephant? After all, he is less than a week old.

I am going now to do the Monday chores that I didn't do yesterday. Tessie can have the box for the rest of the day. Tomorrow this one will be uninteresting and she will want a new room to move into.

See you then.

8 comments:

rosanna said...

I look forward the guided tour. I know I'll enjoy it Have a nice day Rosanna

HannahFKW said...

Wow your corner box room simply looks amazing! You really have an eye for unique and inspirational pieces! You have given me loads of inspiration for my next project!
Hannah x

Norma Bennett said...

What a lovely 'day room' for Tessie to enjoy. And yes please, let us see more of your room boxes!

Irene said...

A nice little project - I'm keen to see your other little makeovers.

Kathi said...

Nice little box! I really, really like the plexiglass. Can't wait to see more of your tour!
Tessie seem to really like her new pet. Hope she doesn't make him get any larger!

MiniKat said...

A guided tour will be a nice thing to unwind to. I can't wait! ;-)

Thmini2 said...

I love that box it looks so comfortable.

miniacollection said...

I like your box. The tiles are great and I love the door with the wallpaper around it.
Geneviève