Don't forget to poke the photos to enlarge!

Saturday, July 4, 2009

Mixing It Up.....


I thought that it was time to finish painting the inside of the Clockwork Cottage this morning. Decisions had to be made. Between the two of us, Zar and I decided to paint the dining room terracotta before Tessie got there to make suggestions.

I didn't have any terracotta paint. I mixed red iron oxide and trail tan to see if I could come close. It is close, but no cigar, as they say.....(Who is this "they" that says these silly things anyway?)It is a bit too red/pink for my liking, but for a first coat it is OK. I am going to have to hit Michael's and get some real terracotta.

I think that I would like a Venetian plaster finish on it anyway, so the base coat doesn't matter that much. As you can see, it is going to need more coats.

I found a piece of dark brown slate flooring that I made for another house a while ago. I decided not to use it in that house, but saved it knowing that I would be able to use at least some of it at another time. That's what gets me into workroom trouble. I save much more stuff than I should, but I know that as soon as I toss it, I will need it..... See? I told you so! I need it.

I am thinking that this room is going to be something that has been in the family for many years and Zar hasn't bothered to change. After all, most of the time he uses the dumbwaiter and eats in his workroom, so there is no need for it.

Once I get the color on the walls adjusted, I think that I will like the combination.
Soon after we finished painting and flooring Tessie showed up. I took every bit of the paint and left. I knew that she would be trying again to talk Zar into puce walls and I was having none of it.

An hour later I went back in to watch the paint dry and see if I liked it. There were Tessie and Balthazar, with their heads together. The are getting entirely too chummy. Tessie zapped a Warren Dick Tudor table and two joint stools into the dining room. It is way too large for the space. I am not sure how they managed. They were having a cheese plate and some wine to celebrate Zar's paint job so far. I was not invited.......Way too chummy. This can't be good..... In this case, two heads are not better than one. Should I be worried? Maybe......

See you tomorrow.

3 comments:

Katie said...

....looking good!!!....I'm loving that slate floor:)

MiniKat said...

They are up to something, Casey. If you need a place to head for the hills, you're welcome here. ;-)

Tabitha Corsica said...

Yup, my friend, you should be worried...very worried. The "real" terracotta will be nice, as will the floor, btw ;-)