Don't forget to poke the photos to enlarge!

Thursday, July 23, 2009

The Grand Tour.....

This morning Walter brought his co worker Laura over to see the miniatures. She has seen them on line, but never has been exposed to any in person. It is always fun to see a newbies reaction to them. It is like seeing my own minis with new eyes.

Each person has a different point of view. We were talking about it while she was here. The point of view seems to pertain to the person's field of interest and background. For example, Laura was drawn to the the room boxes that were "authentic" to the time period that they portrayed because of her interest in history. She especially liked one of the greenhouses because it reminded her of her family.

I think that this is one of the main reasons that I do miniatures. I enjoy having other people look at them and reminisce about another time or place of which they are reminded. I have helped out at Pat Arnell's museum with tours a number of times. I always have the greatest time listening to people say things like "Oh! My uncle Herbert had a hat just like that one." or "That looks just like my mom in that kitchen making cookies."

There really isn't a point to this. I am just rambling on because it was fun to see my minis again for the first time.

After they left, I started putting some of the minis back where they belonged and turning off lights in the buildings. I had put some of my smaller, quarter scale scenes on the counter in the kitchen. When I went to return them to their shelves, there were some other eyes looking at them.....

Darn! I wasn't fast enough in cleaning up. There was Tessie. She started with the quarter inch scaled "Bedroom in a Trunk". "OK. This is what I want for a new bedroom when Spiderwort Manor is built. Only don't use yucky pink. It will, of course, have to be puce."

She is reminding me more and more of my daughter. April has been asking for real scale copies of my miniatures for years. Now Tessie is going for up scaling the quarter inch ones to one inch scale.

She climbed on top of the "Bathroom in a Trunk". "No blue either!" She has eliminated the two colors that I have to mix to make her beloved puce. I wonder if she realizes that? Maybe if I get rid of all of my pink and blue paint I won't have to paint anything puce ever again......Hmmmmmm.

"I do like the bathtub sitting up on a platform like that. And all of the fancy gingerbread trim is acceptable." she said, with her nose pressed against the top of the glass. "I want that bathroom." Then "Puce!"

She sidled up to the "Attic in a Trunk" last. "Now, I will be wanting a much larger attic than this."

"I know." I replied. "You will be wanting it in one inch scale if I ever build it."

She started her usual foot stomping as she does whenever things don't go her way."NO! I want a BIG attic. It has to be big to store all of the things that I want for Spiderwort Manor."

" But Tessie, if the things are for your new house, they should fit in the body of the new house." (Insert one foot into mouth and bite down hard!) Trapped again!

"So! You are building me a new house!"

"No. I didn't say that!"

"Yes you did!"

Here we go again. I won't bore you with the next half hour of "Yes!" and "No!" arguments.

Thank goodness I found the missing wand yesterday before she did! It is well hidden now and I am not foolish enough to give it back.

See you tomorrow.

11 comments:

Mary said...

LOL, I love how Tessie is crouched on top of that clear box and pointing down!

Tessie, maybe you can work for Casey as a tour guide :)

Katie said...

Oh casey! I had to laugh when I saw Tessie sitting on the box! Looks like she's trying to get in! I'd love to come visit your house and see all your minis!! I'd couldn't even begin to imagine how awesome that'd be!! And to meet Tessie, Zar, and Mookie in person.....Not to mention 'The Great Casey'!! Now how cool would that be:)

Caseymini said...

LOL Katie, I feel like an "also ran". I am always at the bottom of the list of characters on my blog now. That puts me in my place!I don't mind tho. Tessie is my alter ego. If you look that up in the dictionary, you will find that the first definition is "inseprable friend". The second is "a second self.... She is both.VBG

MiniKat said...

I know what you mean about seeing minis again through a newbie's eyes. It's an awesome feeling. :-)

I think Tessie is going to back you into a corner if you aren't careful.

rosanna said...

Tessie on the box lid is something worth seeing.The minis are... I lack the word. I do not love much quarter scale but yours are hardly distinguishible from 1 inch ones.I am in awe. Hugs to you and Tessie

Debbie said...

Oh Casey I'm in loe with your quarter scale Mini's. So detailed and so tiny. Thank you for sharing them with us.
So is Tessie going to get her Manor House?

Kathi said...

I'm one of those "newbies" that is completely enchanted with miniatures.
It amazes me how realistic they are! I find myself lost in just looking at them! My first visit to a dollhouse store was a wonderful experience. I was there for two hours!
I love your blog and your stories. You are such an inspiration!

Deni said...

She sure is a handfull that girl, Tessie!
I luv the way she is looking at all your minis and wanting to spirit them away into her already bursting with furniture house,lol
I can't wait till tomorrow to see what she is up to next

Ara said...

These In-A-Trunk displays are so wonderful!! I have never seen that before!! No wonder Tessie wasnt copies :) -ara

Caseymini said...

Ara, I came up with the idea of rooms in trunks about 9 years ago. I love building trunks, but there are only so many mini trunks filled with clothes that you can make. I first made the attic in the trunk, because you always see old trunks in attics. I wanted to be different.LOL From there, it evolved into other rooms. I have a gentleman's study about half finished. I want to do a kitchen and a dining room. I would love to do a whole house in trunks. Sooner or later......

Sans! said...

Hi Cassie, I came by for your baskets tutorial and also your last post. I was curious how working on small count canvas will impact upon a 1"scale house, eg size etc because eventually I want to try. Anyhow, that got me thinking about what scale Tessie is and that's how I came to this post listed under 1/4". The pic with her peering into the roombox was so funny I am still laughing. I must confess I often pop by just to see what Tessie is holding in her hand this time, or if she is putting up her feet or if she is ever going to wear shoes. Do let her know she is my favourite doll,oops, 1 inch person whatever, even more than my own.