I decided to try making terracotta flower pots with the same idea. I started with some computer cardstock, a compass, pencil, glue and scissors. Later I had to find gesso and terracotta paint. That's all I needed.
I am not going to give you patterns for this. If you have a compass you can make a pot as small or as large as you want, with ease.
The two arcs that you see drawn on the left of the photo are for the larger pots. I drew the arcs, making sure that the point of the compass was always in the same hole in the corner of the paper. On the opposite side I did some 1/8" arcs for the rims.
The next step is to cut the arcs out with sharp scissors. Then roll the strip on your thigh with a pencil or pen, ala Marlie's directions for the pitcher.
I then curved the strip around and determined how large I wanted the diameter of the pot and drew a line. After cutting off the excess you could make this your pattern and do a bunch in the same size.
I did this assembly line style so I used the clips this time. I didn't do this with the pitchers because I was too lazy to hunt for the box of clippies. Years ago I got a whole bag of them in the thrift shop for a dollar. These are the ones that we used to use long, long ago as instruments of torture. remember sleeping on these things? Horrors! I had enough of these that I was passing them around to friends and still have a whole box full. Either there was a lady with a huge head that gave them to the thrift shop or a bunch of ladies dumped them all at once. Whatever the circumstances, thanks ladies!
I glued two strips to the rim of each pot to make it thick enough. Then I ran a line of glue around the bottom of each pot and glued it to a piece of cardstock. This gives you something to hang on to while you are painting the pots. I did three to a piece so that it would be easy to reach all sides of each pot.
After the glue dried, I proceeded to paint the outside and the inside of each pot with a thick coat of gesso. I tried to keep the outsides of the pots and the rims as smooth as possible. Then I let this dry thoroughly.
The last step for today is to paint the pots, still glued to the card(Easier to handle that way) with terracotta or similar colored paint. The ones in the photo aren't quite dry. They will lose the shine when they are dry.
Tomorrow I will cut them off around the bottom edge and paint the bottoms. I am thinking that they may get some mold and moss before they are finished. I like old pots. I will also have to put something in them.
That's all I have time for this morning. I will finish next time.
See you tomorrow.