Don't forget to poke the photos to enlarge!

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Making the Bed

OK. Zar is whining about his feet hanging over the end of the bed. so I am starting the new one.

I am cutting this one 7" long and 4 1/2" wide. That should give him enough room. I found, with measuring that it can't be a Murphy bed. The wall is too short. I would have to cut a triangle out of the left, foot end for it to fit. That might look a bit strange, not to mention uncomfortable to sleep on.

You have heard me talk about using acoustical ceiling tile for furniture before. I thought that you might like to see what I am talking about. In the foreground is the three stacked pieces that are cut for the bed. Behind is the other side of the tile. It is always white, but sometimes comes in different textures. The sheets are usually 2' by 4' and very inexpensive.

It usually cuts easily with my jigsaw. Not any more. Mr. Dremel is almost 30 years old and I am afraid that he is giving up the ghost so to speak. This morning I had to really struggle to get the pieces cut. I even changed the blade, thinking that might help. It didn't. It took me about ten minutes to cut the three pieces that should have taken about two.

I have my eye on a Microlux saw in the Micromark catalog. If any of you have had experience with that particular saw, I would love to hear your thoughts on the subject. I don't want another Dremel. The new ones are larger and heavier than the old ones. According to the catalog, the Microlux has fences for cutting straight lines and an adjustable thingy(that's a technical term) that will cut miters. It sounds exactly like what I want. And it's on sale!

Anyway, after cutting the pieces out, I glued them together with Fast Grab and then wrapped them with plain old bleached muslin. I mitered the corners and cut some of the excess fabric out.

It will sit as you see it in the photo. This way the bottom is finished neatly.

I have pretty much decided to use some bedding that I started a few years ago. It is Liz Claybourne fine, raw linen. I found it at a closeout type fabric store. I wish now that I had bought more. This is about the last of it.

The mattress is a piece of mat board with a layer of 1/2" thick foam glued to it. I mitered the two long sides and one short side. Then wrapped it in muslin. I will probably just let this be the bottom sheet since there won't be much of it showing.

The quilt that Tessie is pointing at is the LC linen. There are two shams to match, but they have to be stuffed and finished.

Now all I have to decide is what kind of bed skirt I want under the edge of the quilt. My biggest problem is Tessie. As she was pointing to the quilt, she said "This is boring! I don't like the color." I told her that she didn't have to like it. It was for Zar. How do I get myself into these conversations with her? The next words out of her mouth were"Oh! No wonder it is so blah." and then"That explains why the bed is so long and misshaped. If you were making it for me, it would be shorter and you wouldn't have to use so much fabric It would be much more fun to work on because the fabric wouldn't be boring. When you make MY new bed it will be very pretty and girly and puce!"

I am going to go hide in a closet now. See you tomorrow.

4 comments:

dora said...

Fantastica la cama, y mut bien explicado, yo tambien tengo la dremel antigua.

Tina said...

That Tessie, she keeps the life in the party for sure. Can't wait to see what the finished bed will look like.. I already know it will be one of my favorites as everything you make becomes a favorite.
Has Tessie found you in the closet yet? Hehehe
Have a wonderful day.
Tina

Karin Corbin said...

Are you talking about the Microlux Jigsaw? Don't waste your money on it, I bought one, hated it, way too slow. I sold it to someone else. If you have an active craigslist internet want ads in your area you can usually pick up terrific bargains on jigsaws. I purchased an older Dremel jigsaw for $15.00 and it was new in the box. I have an older but not really old variable speed Delta which I like very much. Quick change blades are a real time saver.

Debbie said...

Only Tessie would want a Puce Bed..LOL x