Don't forget to poke the photos to enlarge!

Monday, April 13, 2009

Very Very Cross.....

That title can be taken two different ways. On one hand, I am very, very cross to be doing real life housework. On the other hand, I have been working on some cross stitch rugs for the Clockwork Cottage for the past couple of days.

This isn't going to be exciting for those that aren't interested in needlework, but it is what I am doing right now, so it gets put in the blog.

This is the book that I am using as a basis for the designs. It is a Dover book that was published in 1975. They may still have it on the Dover site. I'm not sure. It is full of charts for many cross stitch designs from Nuremberg and is dated 1604! It always amazes me that these designs have been handed down for 400 years and are still used today.

Most of the designs in the book are either borders or diaper patterns(repeating patterns on a grid). There are 36 pages in the book and 99 different designs.
The first one that I am working on is shown with the border design that I used and a jumble of thread that will be used on it. I changed it slightly, putting the squares all in a line instead of alternating them by half a step. It shows three colors being used. I have changed it to six. When I get a little further along I will take a closer photo so that you can see it better.

The rugs that I make using this book as a basis really turn into my own designs. I start out with a pattern like this one and will add a border of my own around the edge. This one is done on #24 congress cloth. It will probably go in the living room between the sofa and the fireplace. By the time I add the border it will be about the right size.


The second one has just been started. And before you say anything.....Yes. I am working on two different rugs at once. If I do it this way, I tend not to get so bored with x after x.
Now.....I have to go back to laundry, dusting and vacuuming......I am very very cross!

See you tomorrow.

4 comments:

MiniKat said...

Ooh! I like this! Can't wait to see more!

Boo housework! ;-)

Debbie said...

The design looks lovely Casey. You have more patience then me.
And as for Housework, that's a filthy word...

marlies said...

These are going to be great, beautiful design, much work too.
* marlies

Tiffany said...

Casey, you are inspiring me to cross stitch some things for my San Fran. Your rugs look beautiful! Nothing commercially made can top those, that's for sure!