Don't forget to poke the photos to enlarge!

Thursday, April 9, 2009

Just a Little More Glitz.....

I am doing little things today. I didn't tell you before, but I was bitten by a spider last Friday. I have had spider bites before without a lot of trouble, but this one kept getting worse. I finally broke down and spent Wednesday afternoon in Urgent Care Center in our neighborhood. To make a long story short, after waiting 2 1/2 hours the doctor took a look at me from 6 feet away and prescribed two kinds of antibiotics and a tetanus shot and left. I won't be going back there again. Not even if I am at death's door.

Anyway, you don't want to hear a description of the bite and gruesome details so I will just say it hurts and I am not doing a whole lot. I think that the antibiotics are starting to kick in today. When they do, I will be back to normal, whatever that is........

I filled a few more holes in the typesetter's drawer this morning. I am not sure what people are going to think of the toilet setting on top. Oh well. I like it.

I made the mistake of tiptoeing into Tessie's cottage and taking away the sparkly light. When she found out where I put it, she took up residence next to it and started trying to call the other witches to enlist help. She still doesn't get the fact that the phone isn't connected. She looks into the mouthpiece and yells a lot. Maybe I should give in and let her have it a bit longer. For the present, I am going to leave her there. It keeps her occupied and out of my hair.

I did do one tiny project this morning. I had some Metal Miniature pieces that were primed and ready to paint.
When unfinished or just primed, they are not at all pretty, but the detail is great. I have had these for quite a while and never found a place to use them until now.

I primed the pitcher with charcoal and the candle sticks with white gesso. BTW, if you want acrylic paint to stick well to the metal, first wash them with soap and water and then rinse with alcohol. This takes any residue of mold release from them.

The candlestick in the middle was an experiment. I used a copper leafing pen on that one. I liked the look. It was a bit hard to get down into all of the little crevices, but it worked.

Here's the results. I tried to completely cover the candle sticks. With the pitcher, I wanted it to look old so I only hit the high points with the copper leaf.

After the paint dried, I used some of the rub on metallic in gold on the candlesticks and I threw in the train engine for good measure and used the gold on the edges and high spots on that too. I think that they turned out pretty good for lowly metal minis.

I am going to go back and nurse my wound now and see if I can get into more mini trouble.

See you tomorrow.

12 comments:

nikkinikkinikki72 said...

Poor Casey and the horrid spider for biting you. I hope your medicine starts to work soon and you feel back to your normal self.
I've always been scared of going to countries with spiders that bite.
Hoping you feel better soon and mangae to stop tessie's antics.
Ypur typesetters draw loos fab and off to have a closer look again.
Get well soon... Nikki x

Debbie said...

Oh Casey sorry to hear that you've been bitten by a Spider. Hope your soon on the mend.
Love the Candlesticks. Looks like Tessie has now taken up residence in the printer's tray. Min she doesn't magic everything into her cottage..
Any sign of Spike yet?

Caseymini said...

Nikki, it's my own fault for sleeping with the windows open. The bite is definitely getting better.

Debbie, I am giving Tessie until tomorrow to give Spike back and then she is in trouble!

Katie said...

You must taste good if the spiders keep biting you! :) Maybe some garlic around your neck would help....Hope you feel better soon.

.....and the toilet makes for good conversation!!

rosanna said...

I do hate spiders, they frighten me! I wish you are mending fast and good.
The candlesticks turned out very nice and I love the candles too. Best wishes.

MiniKat said...

Do you have any idea what species nibbled on you? That's the one thing FH will have to get used to if we move "home." Lots of screens on the windows and shutting them at night.

I don't mind spiders, but I am allergic to most antibiotics. I really don't need to tempt fate into letting myself get bit.

In college I had an infestation of brown recluse. The exterminator was a very nice man. Had no problems with them or anything else after he was done. ;-)

Urgent cares are either great or horrible. Sounds like you found one of the latter. :-(

Hope you mend up soon!

MiniKat said...

Oh yeah... love the candles sticks and the effect on the pitcher!

I think the antibiotics are making both of us forget our trains of thought. ;-)

JDayMinis said...

I hope you feel better soon!

Caseymini said...

Kat I think that the "train of thought" left the station without me this morning! LOL

nikkinikkinikki72 said...

Ooops... forgot to say your candlestick and vase looks fab as always!

Anonymous said...

I am sorry about your spider bite - they can be nasty and clinics can also be very cold and impersonal. He must have been having a bad day. You should have taken Tessie - maybe she could have hexed him into a better mood. Hope it is better soon. I like your typesetters box and the toilet on top adds character you just need a few more items up there with it.

Creager Studios said...

Hi Casey...

Those darn old Arizona Spiders... sorry to hear about your nasty bite (and the urgant care service...makes my blood boil when I hear stories like that)

Anyway...hope you are much better soon ...

Happy Sunday

Jodi