Don't forget to poke the photos to enlarge!

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Onward and Upward!

I got very brave this morning and wrestled the Glencroft away from the under bed dwelling, wood eating gremlins. When I opened the box, this is what I found. No. The cat was not included. Mookie is the official inspector of any and all boxes that come into the house. He has been dieing to see what was in this one for almost a year. I got it last year for the Miniatures.com April Fool's Day half price sale. Now he knows.

I am not so sure that I want to know! See that little tiny square of sandpaper laying on the many pages of directions? It is that with which they expect you to finish off all of those hundreds of parts. Yeah. Sure. That will do it.......Plus about 17 more sheets of various weights. That one quarter sheet is #280. It should last about 3 minutes.

Under the pages of directions, I found a double sheet that was titled "The Instruction Warm-up Sheet". If I had never done this before, that alone would scare me to pieces. Just think of the poor people that chose this as their first dollhouse. Instructions for what to do before you read the real instructions? Ummmmm.....Close the box quickly and shove it back under the bed before something weird jumps out.

Under that, I found 11 sheets of shingles that I will have to break apart and then I won't be happy. Knowing about me and shingles, they will at least have to be cut into quarters. I know. I could save a lot of time by slapping those on the roof the way that they are. No way. I like little shingles. That's 4 times as much work, but it has to be done for me to be happy. When do we get to the fun part?

OK. Move the shingles aside. Oh look! More not quite fun stuff. There are 14, count 'em, 14 sheets of punch out pieces.....And there aren't very many BIG pieces. One quarter sheet of sandpaper and 14 sheets of plywood? What's wrong with this picture? I wonder if I could tie sandpaper to Mookie's feet and let him run across the pieces? I guess not. He just ran and hid. He's under the bed, now that there is room.

To make matters worse, I have to figure out what all of these little parts are and label them. I will probably misplace at least half of them before this is over.

Now down to the fun part. I can never leave well enough alone. I kept looking at the photo on the box. I shouldn't have done that. I kept thinking that it should have 3 rooms on the first floor and 3 on the second.....Yup. I got out the quad rule and here's what I came up with. There will be an extension on what I call the kitchen side. If I had a place to put it when I'm done, I thought of a way to do the other end too.

The extension will be the kitchen. The original kitchen will be a dining room. The living room will stay a living room.

Upstairs the extension will be the bath. It has to be over the kitchen for pluming purposes. The middle room will be the bedroom and the room by the stairs will be the workroom and study.


That is at least the plan today. Years ago, I did a Harrison that had a secret passage from the billiard room up to the maid's room. The man of the house was not always a gentleman.... I am trying to figure out how to work a couple of secret passages into this one. So far, it is too small. We shall see. I don't know if I should tell you if and when I work it out. Then it wouldn't be a secret. As the saying goes, "If I tell you, I will have to shoot you!". Well maybe nothing that drastic.

I am now going to go back to the torture chamber and start labeling little tiny pieces, half of which, I will probably lose, replace with something else or not use at all. Wish me luck.

See you tomorrow.

11 comments:

Debbie said...

Your braver then me Casey, I opened my box and promptly shut it again.

Anonymous said...

Please take lots of process photos of the build. I know the Glennie is a real B!T¢H and I plan to tackle it as only my second build!

Caseymini said...

Tilly, there are already a lot of good instructions for the Glencroft. The best one around is at More Minis blog. http://moreminis.blogspot.com/2007/07/glencroft
She goes into more detail than I ever could. It's a great site.

Caseymini said...

Oops! The url for that is wrong in the previous post. It is http://moreminis.blogspot.com/2007/07/glencroft-day-1.html Try that one.

nikkinikkinikki72 said...

I bought one similar to this many moons ago, opened the box, nosed about, then became slightly worried and sealed it up again.
Then moved 3 times and lugged the box to each new house, carefully displaying it under the bed, then another new bed and dusted the box from time to time.
Then... out it came and sat in my conservatory for several months, then went on ebay... lol.
Ebay was all i could think to do with it. I think if i tackled the contents i'd have ended up in some sort of asylum and would have never ever been let out again.
I must congratulate you and anyone else that tackles projects such as this.
That was 17 years ago when i bought my first ever dols house and didn't take miniatures up again until 2 years ago believeing everything regarding dolls houses meant frustration and waiting for glue to dry.
I shall never buy one ever ever again because i'd end up crying for days and days.

Katie said...

Ok....so I had to look at the HBS catalog, and see what this Glencroft looks like. OH.....I see why it's so scary! But if anyone can do it, Casey can!!! I'm exicited to see where you go with this! Have any plans as to whose house this is going to be???

Katie said...

Oh....and I forgot to include my sandpaper theory.........If you think about the size of that piece of sandpaper in realation to miniatures, I'd say you had plenty....LOL, maybe you have a miniature carpenter hiding under your bed that would be most impressed with the size of that sheet.....giggles :)

rosanna said...

I have always thought that there was a trick in kits. This looks terrible to manage. Good luck

Caseymini said...

Katie, I mentioned in passing that the person inhabiting this house is going to be a writer/inventor of the Steampunk persuasion. If you want to know more about Steampunk please check out some of the sites in the "other blogs I follow" list. Lots of gadgets and strange inventions will be in it.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the instructional link, Casey! I'm not asking you to show me how to do it, I promise. I just want to share in your pain as you try! ;)

pussman and co said...

I wish I was beginning a house now, but I still have to wait.
A lot of good courage I wish you for this one, I am sure the cat will help you, she looks so wise!